Started work on my VCH

john.whiting
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Started work on my VCH

Post by john.whiting »

A Harley 1000 sporty piston might suit you,at about 1/8 the price .If you make a 1 3/8 pin you can use a sporty rod and bearings,or a 74 rod,which is a little wider......the rods are usually free,and a bearing set with cages costs peanuts from the US.
Brian_Walker
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Brian_Walker »

Thanks John that's good information, it would save a bit, the big ends and mains have only done two laps of Bathurst since replacement and have been in light engine oil since that time so hopefully they will still be OK. (I haven't split the cases yet)
I made a mistake in my text earlier, I was running a 19 tooth engine primary not a 17 as I stated. I was going to order another 21 but it seems maybe it will pull a 23 tooth?
Still curious if any other VCH engines have double valve springs like mine it also has two lobe cam, alloy pushrods, offset and re-profiled cam followers.
A search of Hazel and Moores records back in the seventy's didn't show my engine number as coming through them and I think they were the sole agents in Australia so maybe it was built as a spare for Bathurst 1952 Johnny Shanks may know more about it.
Great getting all this information as I no longer have any records of my original re-build including my megaphone length and reverse cone diameter etc.
It wouldn't run very well without the mega due to the huge valve overlap, it has a race magneto that throws a huge spark not a magdyno.
Still thinking... Roadbike? Classic Racer?... or maybe take it out on the salt for some speed work.
1951-52 VCH under restoration
adrie.degraaff

Post by adrie.degraaff »

Brian_Walker wrote:Still thinking... Roadbike? Classic Racer?... or maybe take it out on the salt for some speed work.
From experiance i can advice; make a 6.5 to 1 roadbike with a cilenser given you more fun, easy starting and more money when sold.

Don't forget that the aluminium barrel is getting older and will crack when used in anger.
Last edited by adrie.degraaff on Thu May 31, 2018 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

ALL VH's have strong double valve springs originally. Many regard them as too strong. Might be worth going to a modern design spring. Tapered and lighten a few things. Salt and magnesium don't mix well. The 1000 sporty bore is a bit smaller and you will have to use a big oversize. The 1000cc stuff is a bit rare these days. They've been 1200 s for a while. The ARIEL rod in the VH is a good one if it's not too old . Not too heavy, a good design and the right metal. Nev
adrie.degraaff

Post by adrie.degraaff »

We cann't see on your pictures wich barrel you have, it could be VCH-VHA wich is the weakest of all.
Brian_Walker
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Brian_Walker »

Spent a bit of time over the last two days to get some reliable information on my bike, used the AOMCC site to search engine number, crankshaft and Cylinder info.
Found the following correct me if I'm wrong about anything:
The engine crankcases are TR117 1952 VCH
Crank A7/ 545A D4 (1936-37 VH) (the number is on the drive side not the timing side)
Cylinder A7-927 found information to suggest this is the weakest barrel available??
Gearbox 1/BAP M/3 G48D48 (1948 VH)
Frame SA 1951 plunger (should be a ridgid)
The conrod is A7/473.

All in All it looks like a Bitzsa (bits of this bits of that).
Took a few photos of some bits I had with it including a rotary oil pump and another timing case cover I used to run my rev counter.
From memory the rotary pump had so much pressure I had leaks everywhere so only ran it once.
The crankshaft looks like it spent a fair bit of time on a buffing wheel and you can nearly see your reflection in the conrod.
Is the case below and early or late one valves in head are both very LARGE.

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]
Leejm

Post by Leejm »

Yes that is the vch/vha barrel. (the weakest of them all) they did used the same barrel on the early hs model with 9 to 1 compression piston. so I wouldn't go over that if I was you. Lee
1948 NH, BSA D10 SPORTS. 1953 VHA, 1951 KH rigid project.
Brian_Walker
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Brian_Walker »

Thanks Lee, I will order a JP 9:1 rather than use the 12.5: 1 as I don't want to destroy a barrel.
Brian
Leejm

Post by Leejm »

This is my vha engine. Do you have the same head? With the spark plug forward of the normal position? Ie close to the exhaust valve?
Attachments
DSC_0002.JPG
1948 NH, BSA D10 SPORTS. 1953 VHA, 1951 KH rigid project.
david.anderson

Post by david.anderson »

Brian
From my understanding 9 to 1 is still too much for that cylinder unless it is through bolted. New cylinders cast to the later stronger shape are available from Mick Dickerson in England.
The 9 to 1 JP is not too heavy at standard bore size. With a little metal removal by a rotary burr from the sides of the gudgeon bosses and a small increase in the the skirt side scallop, I brought a 9 to 1 JP, back to the same weight as an original Hepolite 9 to 1. That is of course heavier than an original 6.8. Oversize JPs are of course heavier as are oversize pistons from other manufacturers.
If you want a very good piston try, Special Pistons in Melbourne for a forged piston. I had them make a 10 to 1 for me which is both lighter and stronger and is revving to 8000 in a short stroke. I run it on 98 octane unleaded, or 95 when I can’t get 98.
Claude Cartledge pistons were made from an aircraft piston alloy, although I cannot remember which alloy.. They were sand cast and fairly heavy. I still have a 10.5 and a 6.8 pistons that were made by Claude. I also have cams ground by Claude. At one stage Claude offered me a geared oil pump that he had made for his VH. Unfortunately he wanted more than I was prepared to pay. Are you certain that your pump is a rotary pump or is it geared.
The Sydney importer/dealer for Ariel and Royal Enfield was Eric Moore’s, not Hazel and Moore.
The VCH originally used the same dual springs as the VH.
107mph with a 19 tooth sprocket is 7940rpm.
Do you know if Jack Caruthers ground your cams, or did he have a collection of cams done by the likes of Senior, Cartledge, Waggot, Lyons, Carie, or Corish. Of all those cams the Art Senior cam is the hottest but it is not as hot as the factory 1956HSmk1 factory cam.

The VCH that was owned by John Shanks was purchased from Davies Brothers in Lakemba. After John sold it, it was written off in a head on collision that also killed the rider.
David