Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by robin.parker »

That looks like the one!
dave.owen
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by dave.owen »

Just what you need, check it is long enough to go from handle bar to lever on front of barrel.

Dave
AOMCC Treasurer
nickphipps

Post by nickphipps »

I have attached the lever (big thanks Dave), the lobes on the cable seam a little two big so will file these down abit, my problem now is. I have tried to take the valve lifter apart in order to adjust it. It is out of the bike now, but will not budge. i am asuming that the nut is a lock nut for the screw inside, which when undone will allow me to adjust properly..........Please can someone advise how this undoes?, if i am on the right track? and if indeed this is the correct lifter for the vb?..... from a previous posting i now have doubts if this is correct for my bike.........any help great fully received............
Attachments
valve lifter 001.JPG
pete.collings
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by pete.collings »

It looks OK, as per my previous comments. The nut should undo as a normal RH threaded nut, the problem is to find some way of restraining the lifter whilst you exert force on the nut. Use a small spanner or short socket attachment, and tap gently as is possible to undo the nut. Both the nut and the arm can be difficult to move if untouched for a while, sometimes heating will aid the dismantling process. Once the nut is removed, the centre can be tapped off the arm, but again it can be tight, be careful not to damage the end where the adjusting slot is , possibly replace the nut with a little clearance and tap that. Once dismantled, clean all the exposed surfaces, and adjust the shimming/spacing so the arm turns freely but has minimal side movement. The lifters can allow oil to blow through if they have too much clearance. The major problem with dismantling a lifter is finding a way to hold/grip it firmly whilst not damaging any part of it (?soft vice jaws?).
Once all is in place with the cable fitted and exhaust valve fully closed, use the cental slot to rotate the lifter until it just touches the tappet plate, then back it off so there is ample free play in the cable before the lifter starts to work. Gently tap the arm in place, and tighten the nut (don't overtighten it, use a dab of locktite if necessary).