Ariel WNG

Singles, twins and fours.
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

The fieldstand lug is cut off too close to weld. You have the choice of brazing with NICKEL bronze or, removing it , repairing it and rebrazing it on the frame. The tank lug would be ok either way and can be welded in place or brazed. Just go easy with the heat when you are fairly close to a brazed joint.
That build date fits with mine. It's a bit later. The primary chaincase would be aluminium ( rough as cast) and so would the cover over the timing chain. Your handle bars would be rubber mounted and tapered . Later ones weren't rubber mounted. I'm not sure of the exact date of these changes. Someone should do the definative story of the WNG's. There were some gearboxes that were cast iron cased I believe. Cast iron covers were used on the military Velocettes (MAW) Many went to Russia. Nev
John Harper

Post by John Harper »

Thanks Nev (and John for the dating),

is there any chance that you could post a photo of your fieldstand lug, so that I can see what it should look like?

The timing cover & chaincase are both aluminium, as is the gearbox. I'm interested in your comments about the handlebar - I had assumed normal parallel bars rather than tapered. I might have to accept standard bars anyway, due to lack of supply.

John
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

Sorry John not my strong point. My computer and I don't get great results with posting images from my camera so we will see if someone else can do the deed for US. You would need to get the actual dimensiond and it is not difficult to make the missing piece and it doesn't carry a lot of load as the whole thing swivels and relies on the bike not moving forward and backwards to work. Nev
brenton.roy
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by brenton.roy »

Hi Nev,
if you send it to me, I can post it for you.
I'll PM my home email.
Brenton
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.
John Harper

Post by John Harper »

Hello again,
I've been offline for a while, partly due to gently re-commissioning an MZ 250 + sidecar for the Scottish Bike Show in Edinburgh last weekend, and also getting on with the complete rebuild of a Grey Ferguson tractor (injection timing took ages, but now I'm working through the hydraulic pump).
I've got a quote for rebuilding the wheels of the WNG, but am still trying to find a local person who can fabricate the missing brackets & nickel bronze braze them to the frame. That degree of metalworking is beyond my skills.
If anyone can provide a photograph of the missing sidestand lug, that would be most appreciated.
I'll keep you posted on progress, although it may take a while. I want to get it right though.

John
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

I won't be able to access my stuff to photograph the parts for at least 3 weeks. It's worth while to get it right. A machine drawing would be a help. Can you indicate where yours is cut off. If it is a fair way from the original braze, you may be able to carefully arc weld it, keeping the brazed area cool by welding it intermittently. Alternatively, making the entire part and brazing it on is a possibility. It's not a difficult thing to fabricate. Sorry for my unavailability. Nev
John Harper

Post by John Harper »

Thanks Nev,

I don't mind waiting for a photograph or any other information that you or any other person can find. I'll be away myself for the next few days anyway. Anything that helps is much appreciated.
The photo of 7th Feb shows where the lug was cut off, and as you say it might be easier to fabricate the entire part & braze it on rather than repairing.

Thanks again,

John
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

I agree with doing the whole thing, as it's not difficult to make. As with all things it's no more difficult to make it right than close to right. There may be a machine drawing available from archives and that would be better than a photograph.
At present , I am half way from perth to sydney on a re-enactment of the first crossing of a powered vehicle of australia, from west to east, ( or in any direction for that matter) which happened 100 years ago. We are, currently at Ceduna. I am on a 1918 Indian powerplus single and expect if I complete this run, I may never walk again, as my tail is suffering somewhat. There are people from England ,Germany New Zealand and the USA on this run and they are all using pre 1918 models. Done in aid of breast cancer and prostate research. Not much seems to be available on the net about it, unfortunately, as I know quite a few people are interested. Internet coverage has been unavailable much of the time up till now, but should be more available from now on. Nev
john.nash

Re: Ariel WNG

Post by john.nash »

You got an internet link for the run, Nev ?
I could create a new topic, in a more appropiate part of the forum ..
John Nash
AOMCC No.4119
''78 t140 bonneville, '77 BMW R80, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, '51 VH500, '49 project Ariel , '47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '42 indian 741b, '41 Ariel WNG and piles of rusty scrap ....
mike.giannetakis

Re: Ariel WNG

Post by mike.giannetakis »

Hi John ,
I think that is what you are looking for..
Attachments
DSC01623.JPG
DSC01622.JPG
DSC01621.JPG