Single Cylinder Crankcases

Singles, twins and fours.
tony.barnett
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Single Cylinder Crankcases

Post by tony.barnett »

I have a 1951 VH engine (prefix RB, which is 1951) with some damage to the crankcases. I also have a set of VB crankcases (prefix MC, which is 1956). Is there any reason why I couldn't use the VB crankcases for the VH engine?

The main difference I can see is the RB cases are 4 base studs, the MC ones are 5.
KOBI
Swindon Branch Combined Operations (Chairman and Secretary)
Ariels - 1913 TT Model, 20 Roadster, 28 Model D, 30 Model B, 38 VH, 52 VH
Velocette MAC, KSS Mk1
pete.collings
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by pete.collings »

No reason, you just need to drill and tap a hole to take the fifth barrel base stud. It might also be worth checking if the large d/s and t/s bearings have moved in the crankcase, as these will (should?)be replaced by roller bearing outer races, and the d/s outer can come loose and work inwards, catching the big end nut.
A bit of locktite should help if this is the case.
tony.barnett

Post by tony.barnett »

Thanks Pete. I'll be using the 5 stud cases with a four stud barrel. So just blank the fifth stud (between the pushrods)?
KOBI
Swindon Branch Combined Operations (Chairman and Secretary)
Ariels - 1913 TT Model, 20 Roadster, 28 Model D, 30 Model B, 38 VH, 52 VH
Velocette MAC, KSS Mk1
john.nash
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by john.nash »

I just been down club night with Len, Dick and the boys.

This subject came up as I have a set of '47 VB cases, and sets of 52 and 57 VH cases.
I also have two VB crankshafts and the crankshafts to match the VH's.

I was told that the cases are all interchangeable, apart form the 5th hole on the VB and later VH cases. Which as Pete says, can get a bolt through to seal it when using the VH barrel with separate pushrod tubes. I already have an OHV top end on a VB bottom end, with separate pushrod tubes. The extra hole is covered by the compression plate, in this instance.

My crankshafts on the otherhand, apart from the obvious conrod differences between VH and VB will have different crankpins, big ends and flywheels. Mainshafts are interchangeable though.

I have learned sooooo much in a year. blimey.
John Nash
AOMCC No.4119
''78 t140 bonneville, '77 BMW R80, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, '51 VH500, '49 project Ariel , '47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '42 indian 741b, '41 Ariel WNG and piles of rusty scrap ....
ben.mitchell

Re: Single Cylinder Crankcases

Post by ben.mitchell »

Tony
The fifth cylinder base hole on the VB cases is not a base stud hole but rather a tappet chest oil drain so it does not have a thread tapped in it...in which case if you want to seal it with a bit of stud ..then you will first have to tap the thread! I did once convert a VB crank case to a 5 stud VH crank case use and if my memory serves me correxctly I found tha the drain hole was not in the same location as required for the fifth stud VH use so I had to get it welded up and then drill/tap a new hole....the correct cylinder base gasket makes a good template for this!
Ben