From Land’s End to John o’ Groats and some more…

Anything about Ariels
Paul Slootheer

Post by Paul Slootheer »

On the 10th of april 2012 five members of the Dutch Ariel Owners Club will start to make the Land’s End to John o’ Groats trip on their Ariel motorcycles.

The initial idea for this trip was born during the 2009 Annual Rally in England.
Rob Schol, Ben Hopman, Jenny de Boer, Fred Buter and Paul Slootheer will be covering a total distance of approximately 3800 km (2400 miles) on their Iron Horses.
The trip will include the journey from Holland to Dunkirk in France where they will cross to Dover. From here on they will travel to the west in order to reach the starting point of Land’s End. The schedule is to ride an average of 250 km a day and they will return back home on the 25th of april to catch the ferry in Newcastle.

If you are interested: there wil be a facebook link which enables you to follow their journey. This facebook link will be bilingual; (Dutch-English) and will be updated on a daily basis from the 10th of april onwards.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Van-Lands ... 135?v=wall
Attachments
ArielFactory.jpg
charles.bulloch
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by charles.bulloch »

Hi!
This looks brilliant. I hope to see you on your intrepid journey. You will probably pass within a few km of my house.

Charlie
p tuxworth

Re: From Land’s End to John o’ Groats and some more…

Post by p tuxworth »

are you stopping by the factory , selly oak ?
Graham.Goral
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Graham.Goral »

...or the AGM?
admin
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by admin »

Why not a visit to gloucester branch club night ?
last thursday of the month - GL14 1JX
Steven.Carter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by Steven.Carter »

That will be a great ride, I think it was you Paul that had the misfortune to camp next to me at last years Dutch annual rally!! I hope we give you the good weather that you gave me.

Steve Carter
Paul Slootheer

Post by Paul Slootheer »

Dear Gents,
Will try to publish a list with postal area code’s or the places were we have planned to stay for the night. The schedule for each day is to arrive somewhere in the afternoon so there wil be some time to relax as we depart the next day early…
Regards, Paul Slootheer ;)
Wali.Badger.Taylor
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by Wali.Badger.Taylor »

Adrie is the expert at this, he did it on a 1903 Ariel!
adrie.degraaff

Post by adrie.degraaff »

They live a block away from me.
adrie.degraaff

Post by adrie.degraaff »

Tomorrow is the start at 8.00 AM, I have to see them off, the tempeture will be the gratest challence.

During the 2003 Aspinall 100 year aniversery run wich I did on my 1903 Ariel, Rob was also riding behind me on my 1902 Minerva clipon, he managed to ride all the way till Moffat when the small 1 3/4 HP engine gave difficulties and Rob got a bee sting in his eye bringing him to hospital.
He managed to do the Stirling Ariel rally run a week later, so he knows wich way to go.
We where supported by Sonja Huls on her 1948 Triumph TRW, map reading and leading the way to petrol stations.

John Aspinall was a Ariel bicycle dealer from Walsall who'm has riden a 2 1/4 Ariel from Lands end to John O' groats in 6- 1/2 days, I found his grand son who still had the total journy on paper, so we copied it exactly, we even had the 1903 Granton - Burnt island ferry reïnvented in the shape of a 100 year old trawler.
Attachments
Aspinall 1903.jpg
Last edited by adrie.degraaff on Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.