Ariel Arrow points problem

General electrical problems
Roger James
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: Ariel Arrow points problem

Post by Roger James »

Alan,
The points back plate on the Leader engine is a Lucas 4ca, What you want to search for is a Lucas 6ca points unit. I've usually picked mine up off ebay, I've just had a look and come across a couple of 6ca points back plates complete with points, have a look at item number 322936496426 as an example, the other set are for sale in the United States, try searching, Triumph points back plate, that brings some up also.
Try to go for a set that has all the adjusters present and good screwdriver slots, if lightly badly damaged they can be tidied up.
The photo attachment shows the set on my Arrow production racer.
Jess
Attachments
6ca points on xnr
6ca points on xnr
alanbrown

Post by alanbrown »

That looks like a neat installation, no chance of any spurious contact there. I'm looking on EBay now!
Thanks
Alan
Roger James

Post by Roger James »

Here's another photo of a 6ca set on my black/white Arrow. Slightly better picture...

Jess
Attachments
6ca points set on 61 Arrow
6ca points set on 61 Arrow
AndyEames
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by AndyEames »

Hi Alan.
Theres a set on ebay, (or was this afternoon)
alanbrown

Post by alanbrown »

Thanks Roger and Andy for your help with this.
I just bought the 6ca points on EBay!
Alan
Roger James

Post by Roger James »

Well done Alan,
You should be able to use those condensers now.
The attached photo shows how I fit the condensers to the frame inside the dummy tank, a basic steel bracket with small section folded over 90 degrees at one end slots over the edge of the access hole where you would slide your hand in when fitting or removing the coils, the fold over just stops the bracket twisting around, there's a pre drilled hole either side and I use one of these to bolt the bracket in place so no need to drill any extra holes anywhere. the bracket extends out over the frame towards the side wall of the dummy tank where the condensers are bolted in place on the bracket, this keeps everything out of the way for re-fitting the tool box.
Note I have fitted a third condenser, this is a spare should one play up out on a run I can easily swap the wiring over from the faulty condenser to the spare one. (never had to use the spare condenser but its there if needed).
Jiffy bag optional, just placed it there for a lighter background to take the picture.

Jess
Attachments
Condensers fitted to frame inside dummy tank
Condensers fitted to frame inside dummy tank
alanbrown

Post by alanbrown »

Thanks Roger, I was wondering how to mount the condensers. One thing that concerns me is the reliability of these condensers, after reading the forum. I may well use a different type, I have had good condensers from AO services on a previous project.

Useful photo, thanks
Alan
alanbrown

Post by alanbrown »

In this photo I am trying to set the timing for the Right hand cylinder, or offside, using the lower points.

Thanks

Alan
Attachments
image.jpeg
alanbrown

Post by alanbrown »

I purchased a set of 6cA contacts on EBay, cleaned them up and fitted them. I,m trying to set the timing now, with a drill though the top threaded hole into the flywheel, having set tech pair of points to 0.015" gap. The problem I have is that even with the independent adjustment of the timing provided by the 6CA unit, I cannot advance the plate enough to get the points to open(I'm using the tried and tested cigarette paper method)
Do I have to elongate the slots slightly to achieve this, or am I missing something?
Any experience appreciated!

Alan
Roger James

Post by Roger James »

Hello Alan,
You shouldn't need to elongate the slots. Are you using the Eccentric Points Adjusters to set the points gap and timing? These eccentric adjusters are positioned at approx the 2pm and 8pm position on the back plate for the respective points you want to adjust, to allow you to turn them with a screwdriver to advance or retard as needed you have to undo the screw that holds the little cross over bracket near the centre, there are two of these brackets one on either side held in place by two screws, the bracket also has the facility to hold the piece of felt in place to keep the cam oiled.
You may find that you have to adjust the eccentric points adjusters then actually go back to moving the whole back plate on the slots a fraction and re adjust the points gap to settle things down then go through the procedure again to finally adjust and set up the timing.
The eccentric adjusters don't rotate much but its surprising how they rotate the whole points assembly on the plate.
I hope the above makes sense, a bit difficult to explain, but once you've had a play with them and see how each adjustment facility works on the 6ca back plate it should all then fit into place of what you need to do.

Jess
Attachments
Eccentric points adjusters on backplate
Eccentric points adjusters on backplate
Eccentric points adjusters.jpg (7.38 KiB) Viewed 3475 times