Another 350!!

Phil B
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Another 350!!

Post by Phil B »

As to Paul’s question, time will tell but on looks alone, it would be the ‘39. I love girder forks.

It’s got style, looks, history and effortless cool.

That said, the both have so back to square one again.
NON SUFFICIT ORBIS

1939 NH
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

There's more fork travel on the tele's and that speedo mount setup is the best of all (51--) No annoying tank panel and oil gauge, plus the rear guard avoids the hinge which wears. AS to the Anstey's they do take a bit of pain from some bumps but they are heavy and often the rear brake works awkwardly so I'm in favour of the rigid frame with a fair sized rear tyre (as a purist.) Plunger rear suspensions undamped are not comparable with a swing arm which became universal eventually. A rigid frame doesn't do awful things handling wise often, but does apply a fair bit of angst to your backbone at times. Nev
Phil B
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Phil B »

No rigids for me thanks, unless it’s just to collect. I’m carrying some spine damage and arthritis too.

Not as bad as it sounds but only because I use it and avoid anything that will antagonise it.

Like ejector seats and rigid bikes! :-D
NON SUFFICIT ORBIS

1939 NH
simon.holyfield

Post by simon.holyfield »

My recent & limited experience with rigid bikes (about 140 miles on my W/NG) has been interesting. The bike demonstrates great handling, and it feels a lot more solid at the back than my SQ4; 90% of the time the saddle springs take care of everything.

But... if you hit some thing big enough or deep enough to overcome the saddle springs, or with enough inertia you get a mighty surprise and an equally mighty kick up the rear end.
Last edited by simon.holyfield on Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
Leejm
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by Leejm »

Good saddle springs are a must on rigid frame bikes, often new springs are way too hard and some are solid. I have a set I can't compress at all. Which does nothing to stop the seat going up my anus! I have a set of seven inch barrel springs on my NH , they may not be the original type or look. But work a treat to soak up minor bumps in the road. For me they are the perfect strength I do stand up on the pegs when going over speed bumps mind you, for General Road roughness and small pot holes the springs do there job.
1948 NH, BSA D10 SPORTS. 1953 VHA, 1951 KH rigid project.
Phil B
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Phil B »

My background means I’ve ridden hardtails (as I would call them) before. Usually with a huge tyre deflated to give “suspension”.
The snag is, although the sprung seat gives the impression of a smooth safe ride, there is so much unsuspended weight.
They’d skip out and try and bite you. That said, they usually had alot more than 17 BHP!!

But it looked cool....
NON SUFFICIT ORBIS

1939 NH
Leejm

Post by Leejm »

I like the look of rigid frames it gives nice clean lines. For me the 1930's is the age where the most beautiful bikes were made in my opinion!
ian.scott
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by ian.scott »

Leejm wrote:Good saddle springs are a must on rigid frame bikes, often new springs are way too hard and some are solid. I have a set I can't compress at all. Which does nothing to stop the seat going up my anus! I have a set of seven inch barrel springs on my NH , they may not be the original type or look. But work a treat to soak up minor bumps in the road. For me they are the perfect strength I do stand up on the pegs when going over speed bumps mind you, for General Road roughness and small pot holes the springs do there job.
I have ridden my rigid VH since 1983 and the first few years when I was riding it in trials I found the repro springs were dire, too hard ,not proper spring steel and would take on a 'set' if overstressed. When I returned the restored bike to the road I had the original rusty springs replicated by a proper spring manufacturer and they are really excellent , being quite soft but not distorting,I would never buy the modern chrome springs commercially available ,but get them made.

Ian
Leejm

Post by Leejm »

Getting hold of good seat springs has been a problem for
A long time. I have a several sets of new springs all are completely useless!! Why they make and sell such crap is anyone's guess! if they don't do the job they were intended for there is no point in having any! I know dranganfly sale saddle springs but I have no idea if they are any good or not. So I stuck with a set I know do work if anyone has got a drags set it would be nice to hear some feedback on them Lee