Push rod and rocker problem

Singles, twins and fours.
chris.shearwood
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Push rod and rocker problem

Post by chris.shearwood »

Can anyone recommend a good way to solidly re-attach a ball end (930-37 lever end pin) to a rocker arm? How about re-attaching the socket part (1861-37 cupped end) to a push rod? These parts are for my 1946 Sq4. I'm pretty sure I used Loctite 620 to stick them together the last time the motor was apart. I don't know how long it held but obviously not long enough. The bike seemed to be running fine with these parts loosely attached but I would like to rectify the problems if possible.
Attachments
100_3103.jpg
1946 4G and 1951 VH
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re: Push rod and rocker problem

Post by nevhunter »

Remanufacture the affected parts to get the required interference fit, is the only "proper " way. Nev
pappleton
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by pappleton »

Not wishing any more woe, is the hole in the rocker arm worn oval?
BR, Paul
Paul Appleton '53 VH plunger, '53 VHA rigid - in many boxes, '58 H.D. pan/shovel rigid
Simon.Gardiner
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

I know of a few people who've found that even the high-temp loctite mysteriously disappears from inside an motorcycle engine......
However, as it doesn't seem to cause any trouble if it does disappear, loctite them again?
Or maybe a bit of copper plating??

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

Any kind of plating or stripping can/will cause Hydrogen embrittlement A simple heat treatment done afterwards will correct that. Most don't bother but that runs a risk. Nev
john.whiting

Post by john.whiting »

The pushrod can be expanded by using a tapered hardened pin.(moly so it will come out).The rocker will need to be reamed and an oversize ballend fitted unless plating will restore the fit.De-hydrogenation ? only requires 200deg C ,so can be done in your kitchen oven.This temp will cause slight reduction in hardness of carbon steel,and none in alloy steel.Ive never bothered with it,but the effect has caused plane crashes.
chris.shearwood

Thank you very much to all who replied. You have given me much to think about and I will let you know what I finally decide. Anybody out there within a hundred mile radius of me who owns a home plating kit? Anybody out there within a hundred miles of me period? Hello, hello....
pappleton wrote:Not wishing any more woe, is the hole in the rocker arm worn oval?
Paul, I measure the ovality of the hole at less than one thousandths of an inch so I guess I could reply "no" to your question.
1946 4G and 1951 VH
johnwalsh
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by johnwalsh »

could the rocker arm be welded and re-drilled under-size.
1958 Huntmaster
1960 Matchless G12
1958 AJS 18s
wade.edwards

Post by wade.edwards »

Yet another idea: if you have access to a TIG welder, 3 tiny one shot tacks (approx. 60 amps) around the perimeter of the ball to the arm. Easy to break if it ever needs to come apart but difficult to shear during use.
chris.shearwood

Thanks to John and Wade for the welding ideas. I spoke to a friend who has a TIG welder and, because it is a through hole in the rocker arm, he thinks he may be able to weld the ball end pin to the arm from the top.

It seems the pushrod requires more complicated methods to correct so I first will be contacting our club Square Four Spares Officer, Bruce Longman, to see if he has a used pushrod and a rocker arm available. I see in the Cheval that Bruce still does not list an e-mail address. Is anyone on this Forum in regular contact with Bruce? Snail mail seems awfully slow in this day and age.

I have noticed that Draganfly does have the rocker arm and the ball end in stock for about Cdn. $50 and I guess I would be able to press them together without problems so if the welding does not work I do have that option. Unfortunately they don't list the pushrods
1946 4G and 1951 VH