Total hip replacement

Bikes or not. Whatever
Wali.Badger.Taylor
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Total hip replacement

Post by Wali.Badger.Taylor »

Anyone had experience of this operation, I am do to have my right leg butchered by the NHS in July and am not looking forward to it. Any contributions and advice would be gratefully received.
Thanks Wali T
chris.vredenbregt

Post by chris.vredenbregt »

Hello Wali be sure that you have a good anaestesia during the operation otherwise it hurts badly and do not start anything with the wife of the doctor who doe the operation.
Seriously: It is a common operation with normally no strange sideeffects and it will bring you on the road again without pain, but keep yourselve to the recovering program after the operation that is very important to the future.
good luck with it Chris
black ariel model G special 1930 500 OHV
keith.hodgenia
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by keith.hodgenia »

Good luck with the operation Wali, hope you are back in action before the end of the season.
A friend of mine had it done a while ago he was soon back to doing over 100 miles on a pushbike.
Wali.Badger.Taylor

Re: Total hip replacement

Thanks both. I will not make the end of the season but I will give the start a good go! I hear mixed things about the op, A friend of mine in the Vale-Onslow family (of SOS fame) was back at work in a week and driving after 10 days. Other people say it took months to heal. As I am, in this context, rather young they are not going to glue it in, rather they will put some magic powder on the bone to encourage it to grow into the prosthetic much like cutting compound enables root growth in plants, I presume they will add a few bolts as well. The surgeon that is doing the job has specified the largest ball joint available to help me to continue my general idiotic and hell-raising life-style.
I have three targets after the op..... To be back at work at the start of the academic year, To be at school for exams results day in August, To be at the AOMCC Annual Rally.
richard.feltham

Post by richard.feltham »

The key to a painless recovery without complications is having the anesthetist inject local anesthetic into the operative bed during the procedure as well as having the general or spinal anesthetic. This way the body does not know you are having your limb ripped off and the autonomic reflexes normally associated with this are not triggered. I imagine its routine but doesn't hurt to ask! As a radiologist I see a fair few of these and the results are always excellent. Should be no worries swinging a kick start.
Wali.Badger.Taylor

Thanks Richard, I had not considered that the aftermath of the surgery would be anything other than weeks of agonising pain. As to kickstarting bikes, I think a lot of my problem started from years kicking bikes over (and a good few decent crashes), I wonder what proportion of replacements in men are on the right side? I am very young to be having this done and I want the thing to last, so I will not be kicking bikes over, however I am in the process of building these, with my main bike running a 11-1 compression ratio they are going to make life a lot easier.
Attachments
forum 2.jpg
forum 2.jpg (59.31 KiB) Viewed 5830 times
forum 1.jpg
forum 1.jpg (51.55 KiB) Viewed 5830 times
Last edited by Wali.Badger.Taylor on Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lou.Watton

Post by Lou.Watton »

Wali
Speak to Mick Wooley he has just (couple of days) come out of hospital after having a new hip.
chris.vredenbregt

Post by chris.vredenbregt »

Hello boys is this a regular injury for ariel-riders ? do I have to buy a AAAAAAAGHR bmw AAAGHR ?
greets Chris
black ariel model G special 1930 500 OHV
Steven.Carter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by Steven.Carter »

All the best with your opp wali, perhaps a little cycling afterwards might strengthen you up a little quicker?

Steve
Wali.Badger.Taylor

One of the things I miss the most is cycling, during the season I like to do 20 miles a night after school to keep me on edge.
I am a little worried about driving after the op, any ideas how many days after you can get behind the wheel?