new toy!!!

ken-drink
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

new toy!!!

Post by ken-drink »

just bought this and rode it home, about 65 miles, got work to do but it is very original, been off the road since 74 , engine has been rebiult and it is a 1960 leader with the small carb, it still has the original dealers plate riveted to the front mudgard , got to do something with the brakes as they are realy bad, got a honda front wheel with a TLS brake for the front but not sure what to do with the rear , i think try new shoes first and see what that does, next will be 12v conversion and LED lights with a cibie headlight unit, much better did that with my bantam , a big improvment, the tin worm has got at a few things but nothing serious so got to get my brazing tourch out and do a bit of metal bashing to repair things like the leg shields. not going to restore it as it is so original, but need to do a few things to make it usable in modern traffic, good brakes and lights are a must have.
It has lost its original registration no, there was no paperwork when the guy i bought it from did the engine work and tried to get the no back, got pics of the bike with the no and the 74 tax disc but the DVLA now won't accept that as it does not have the frame no, it now has an age related no. would love to get the original no back if any one knows how please tell me.
ken
Attachments
20171026_163712.jpg
tstewart
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: new toy!!!

Post by tstewart »

Looks good to me and from what you write is running well. Good purchase.
1952 Ariel NH350, 1960 Ariel Arrow, 1955 Francis Barnet Falcon 197cc, 1954 Norton Dominator.
ken-drink
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by ken-drink »

engine runs nicely, it has a mot so was able to ride it home ok, engine work was done by nametab eng, got lots of pics as the guy i bought it from took pics of everything as he was doing the work, including repairing the spedo some very small and fidley stuff in there, but it seems to work, it had only done 59 miles since the engine rebulid when i bought it.
Ken
Simon.Gardiner
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

Hmmmm - that looks very very similar to a bike that's fairly well known already in these parts of t'internet.....
http://forum.arielownersmcc.com/viewt ... =10&t=6696
http://forum.arielownersmcc.com/viewtopic.php?t=2239

:)

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
ken-drink
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by ken-drink »

had not seen those, yes it is the same bike, he did a fair bit of work but not all of it, did not pay the asking price he put on it as it needs a fair bit doing to make it safe on the road. namely brakes and lights and a few other bits to make it run nicely, like electronic ignition from draganfly along with the ign coil and converted to 12v, i am going to try and keep it as original as possible, going to need some paint for it as fixing the tin worm will destroy the paint, anyone know where i can buy some?
ken
grahamhibbs
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by grahamhibbs »

I've just finished a Leader got the paint from a local auto paint shop. I used two pack.
Regards
Graham
West Sussex

1942 Ariel w'ng
1928 Ariel Model B
1960 Ariel Arrow
1960 Ariel Leader
1961 Ariel leader cafe racer (under construction)
Roger James
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by Roger James »

It was also for sale on ebay in April 2013 in Loudwater, Bucks on a Auction listing with a Starting Bid of 99p and No Reserve but I don't know how much it sold for.
Roger
Ivor Collins
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Ivor Collins »

Hi Ken

If you stamped up a replacement plate and had the bike validated before applying to dvla that could work?

Regards
Ivor
TonyBaxter
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by TonyBaxter »

You still need paperwork with the frame number on. All bikes have a frame number stamped on them *, it's the paperwork that links the reg number to the frame number the DVLA want.
* except H-D WLA models which never had a frame number !
ken-drink
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by ken-drink »

anyone know where to get some decent rear brake shoes that don't need an exchange pair, i see draganfly have them listed but only as an exchange, don't want to have the wheel out for over a week if i can help it. are the front shoes the same?

Ken