specifications, colours, contract nos, variations etc
FOR GENERAL ENGINE AND GEARBOX, USE THE FOUR STROKE TECHNICAL FORUM
Rgray

Girder handlebar risers

Post by Rgray »

Chaps,

Will these fit my Wng?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-8-Black-Re ... SwpONZUNbQ

I have the rubber mount type at the mo and the nuts have been welded up by some bright spark in the past. My handlebar is is bent too, I imagine when my rear stand snapped at one point so I need new risers and handlebar.

It looks like the ebay type is for 7/8 bars, which means I can keep all my controll parts but seem te be having problems finding a bar that will suit, as it needs to be swept forward as per the original.
1966 Rickman Metisse, Lambretta Series2 with 35 ponies...weeeee
paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Girder handlebar risers

Post by paul.jameson »

They may fit but are somewhat unlike the original Ariel design. Early W/NGs were fitted with the rubber mounted handlebars so your existing mountings are probably correct. Can I suggest grinding back the weld so that you can unscrew the nuts and then re-use the mountings. Replacement nuts are available from Drags and rubber inserts which work are available from the Czech boys. Don't use UK rubber inserts as they are the wrong shape - possibly due to Ariel making a batch the wrong shape in their late days which have subsequently been copied in the UK.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
Rgray

Post by Rgray »

I tried one side but couldn't get it to budge. I could try some more but as far as I am aware, no one makes handlebars ?
ian.scott
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by ian.scott »

Have you tried the Club spares scheme or John Budgen or Draganfly or even Cornucopia in Germany ?

Ian
Rgray

Post by Rgray »

John and draganfly dont have any.
wade.edwards

Post by wade.edwards »

Those risers are not for your W/NG. Club Spares have the solid handlebar mount available. Best to keep it rubber mounted if it is an early model. Use a Dremel with small wheel to cut welds. Put in vice to turn off nuts. There is always a little weld between the parts that is not obvious but will eventually break with a little movement. What year is yours?
Rgray

Post by Rgray »

I have a mate that has a rubber mount riser extra that is in good nick, just needs new rubbers.. Thats not the problem, finding handlebars on the other hand is.
paul.jameson

Post by paul.jameson »

The 1 inch handlebar tapered to 7/8" is unavailable and seemingly beyond the capabilities of modern engineering to reproduce. There must have been quite an industry producing tapered tubes in Birmingham in the 1930s, judging by their use in forks and handlebars on Ariels alone but I know that costs of production were prohibitive 15 to 20 years ago.

That leaves you with the option of straightening your bars as best you can but probably accepting an imperfect result - which would be totally authentic for a W/NG, or getting 1" bars from Drags to the original drawings and altering the levers and twistgrip to suit or getting 7/8" bars of the correct shape (which Drags may supply) and putting sleeves in the mountings. Personally, I would go for the straightened existing bars. The W/NG riders might have been war heroes but nobody has ever suggested they didn't fall off from time to time.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
wade.edwards

Post by wade.edwards »

The bars will straighten either cold or warmed with them locked into a vice and the use of a pipe over the bar. Most likely it is one side that is out of spec so that side can be used as a guide.
ian.scott

Post by ian.scott »

Would it not be possible to make the inner section of 1" tube with tapered ends , cut it in half lengthwise .then braze back together over the centre of a pair of 7/8" bars. Presumably for W/NG they are not going to be chromed.

Oan