My 4G Restoration Blog

Bob.Murphy
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: My 4G Restoration Blog

Post by Bob.Murphy »

paul.wirdnam wrote: yesterday I got round to dismantling the rear plungers, which are shot to pieces with one bush being worn right through the side wall.
My '53 square had the same plunger wear when I bought it in '68, so probably not uncommon.

This is a nice project and I'm enjoying the detailed pictures (I have three non-Ariel restorations 'on the go' at present and this seems very familiar).

Bob.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH
paul.jameson

Post by paul.jameson »

Paul,

I was interested in your mention of Peter Batten. I know he is a very long standing member of the AOMCC because his daughter told me he was a member when we were at university together in Leeds in the early 1970s. So Peter must be knocking on a bit by now !
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

Anstey Links.. WEAR would we be without them? A grease a day keeps the problem away. Nev
paul.wirdnam
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by paul.wirdnam »

paul.jameson wrote:Paul,

I was interested in your mention of Peter Batten. I know he is a very long standing member of the AOMCC because his daughter told me he was a member when we were at university together in Leeds in the early 1970s. So Peter must be knocking on a bit by now !
Paul,

I've only known Peter and Grace Batten since moving to Dorset in Dec 2015. He is certainly one of the more "senior" members of the VMCC Dorset Section and has served both as its Secretary and Chairman in the past. And to have such a helpful Ariel expert virtually on my doorstep is fantastic --- at the moment, he is getting weekly visits from me as he has a restored '38 4G and, yesterday, I picked up this puller which he tells me came from Healeys when they closed down. He has also dug out a newly bored +30 barrel and new Hepolite high compression pistons for me from his spares...and more importantly, some better manifolds since mine have lost all their fins. Email on its way to you.

Having offered up the puller to the back coupling gear, I'm a little worried about the shock absorber thread. Because someone has managed to drill a hole through it for a split pin, it is not a strong as it ought to be. Plan at the moment is to make a capped sleeve for it and have the the puller screw down on that; the walls of the cap can be quite thick and can butt up against the splines. We will see....

Paul
adrie.degraaff

Post by adrie.degraaff »

paul.wirdnam wrote:Because someone has managed to drill a hole through it for a split pin
The hole is original but not the flatside.
paul.wirdnam

Post by paul.wirdnam »

adrie.degraaff wrote:
paul.wirdnam wrote:Because someone has managed to drill a hole through it for a split pin
The hole is original but not the flatside.
Not in '39 Adrie. It should be two nuts with lock washer, with D hole, between them. From the 1939 Owners' Guide:

Paul
adrie.degraaff

Post by adrie.degraaff »

Differend driveshaft?
A friend has a MK1 with the splitpin but the crownnuth sheered it of.
paul.wirdnam

Post by paul.wirdnam »

adrie.degraaff wrote:Differend driveshaft?
A friend has a MK1 with the splitpin but the crownnuth sheered it of.
Same arrangement as my '38 VB. They did change over to a single castle nut and split pin late 1940s.
Paul
paul.wirdnam

Post by paul.wirdnam »

Some photos of my Anstey rear end.

Having removed the large centre bolt and nut...nothing happened, was it meant to? In the end, I found a suitable tube and tapped it upwards from the bottom hole and things slowly started to move. It appears the original aluminium top caps were quite tight in the frame...and I was caught by surprise when the first one came free and promptly headed towards the garage roof propelled by the coil spring underneath it. Just glad it didn't land on one of my other bikes when it returned to earth. :oops:

All the old bushes came out fine and all the new ones (from Peter Kemp) went in fine. I had 2 of the 3 different sized reamers, just need to get the last one and we're all done and dusted. All new bolts and links from Acme, and s/steel covers from AOMCC.
Paul
Bob.Murphy

Post by Bob.Murphy »

paul.wirdnam wrote:Some photos of my Anstey rear end.

The grease nipple on the horizontal casting also feeds grease to the vertical king pin slider - so ensure that the connecting hole is clear. There should be a rivet on the rear face of the kinpin slider that, when removed, allows the connecting hole to be drilled.

You probably know all about that :oops: .

Bob.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH