charging problem is driving me mad

General electrical problems
admin
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: charging problem is driving me mad

Post by admin »

bill.bottrill wrote:John,
I've read through your post and it seems like you have been very thorough checking out the wiring,I like what alan moore suggests about the dynamo it is obviously giving a good output but is it of the right polarity.
Have you checked out the earth wire from the mechanical regulator to earth, does it connect not just to the frame but to the battery earth as well,you could use a buzzer to check it,this wire helps pull in the relays in the reg box,if it was broken the regulator cutout wouldn't pull in, I checked through and you don't mention it you have F-field A ammeter D -dynamo armature E -earth
hiya Bill

I am on the standard FADE approach in the standard MCR box ( I have two in fact)
I am pretty confident that I have checked all the wiring for resistance end to end. However, what I am going to do is to chuck in another dynamo and then do everything again, step by step.
Once I have eliminated the improbable, then the only thing left etc ..
admin

Post by admin »

adrie.degraaff wrote:Or the sprocket slip is slipping like my 1956.
i tried turning the fibre wheel against the engine and couldn't (I didn't want to jam it completely and potentially damage it).
I also put a 12v 55w bulb onto D&F and it lit it brightly.

I have had the slipping fibre wheel before and it wouldn't light a big bulb.

cheers

John
paul.jameson

Post by paul.jameson »

John,

Given that the system has worked in the past my following suggestion is unlikely to help but it was common practice with some of the early electronic voltage regulators to change the wiring in the dynamo. I can look this up for you if need be because I think I still have the information on the changes which were made. It is possible that if the dynamo wiring has been changed in this way that the old fashioned mechanical regulator will no longer work.

Paul
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
admin

Post by admin »

Dynamo.
I subb'ed one in off another bike

I still cannot figure out why the present one isn't delivering. Mind you I don't have a "growler" or similar, I can just test the various resistances.
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

Your dynamo won't charge without the regulator pulling in. Take the cover off and watch what's happening. The gaps and springs may be set up wrong. If the airgap is too big, or points dirty, it gets erratic in action. Nev
alan.moore

Post by alan.moore »

admin wrote:Dynamo.
I subb'ed one in off another bike

I still cannot figure out why the present one isn't delivering. Mind you I don't have a "growler" or similar, I can just test the various resistances.

So did the replacement work with no other alterations to the charging system?
1939 VH Redhunter;1942 RN WNG;1951 Triumph 6T Thunderbird;1970 BSA B175 Bantam;1986 Yamaha SRX600 single;1952 VHA engined project
http://cloggymoore.wix.com/triumph-pre-unit-6t