W/ng valuation

General talk about the W/NG
GlenNichols

W/ng valuation

Post by GlenNichols »

Hello, does the club offer a valuation service. I'm just in the process of finishing my wng restoration & require a valuation for insurance purposes.
Thanks
RTichard Woolnough
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: W/ng valuation

Post by RTichard Woolnough »

crikey that is a question!, dunno if the club has a valuation officer, doubt it, you could ask 'how long is a piece of string?' in my view.
there is one pretty nice on ebay £9000, A/T has one about £6K if I recall correctly, the one on a previous post at an auction which required extensive work and parts made £3300 plus £250ish on top, Mine which has been civilianised but which I could have ridden home, a tad over £3500 [there are pics on my posting of it] just under a year ago.
When I value my bikes for the insurance I tend to take a mean averageand I have a G/star G80cs Velocette 500 etc. again only my view 9K is to much 3K for a goeer to little, kind regards.
GlenNichols

Post by GlenNichols »

Hi Richard, thanks for the reply. It's had a full nut & bolt restoration & looking good, I can't wait to ride it. I'll send the insurance company detailed photos & hope that will do the job.
Regards
RTichard Woolnough
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

cannot imagine the insurance co giving you an estimated value, I think you must put a value on it and back this assessement up by sending photo's of it to them, then in the case of a claim you do have something to prove why you assess the machine at such & such.
I suppose in the absence of any definitive reply on here perhaps one of an auction house staff could give you a steer on what it could be expected to fetch at auction kind regards.
simon.holyfield
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by simon.holyfield »

Here's the thread on mine, £3500, bought last year. Very original, just about running...

http://forum.arielownersmcc.com/viewt ... ilit=Italy
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
admin
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by admin »

The club does not have a "valuation officer" .

As the owner of the default mailbox, then I do receive requests from around the world on this subject (as probably does John Mitchell - who's name is out there too). It's not something we can , or should, ever provide as there is potentially a legal ramification.

I usually tell folks to use the "sold listings" option on EBAY to get an approximate idea - although many bikes are sold through other means.
PeterW
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by PeterW »

Part of the problem is its only worth what someone is willing to pay, and that in turn depends on what they want it for. They don't come up for sale very often and those that do vary enormously. Any running rigid/girder has to be worth £3500 / £4000. Being an army bike probably adds a £1000. But then theres the question of originality vs restoration. Some people like their bikes to look factory fresh but I'd suggest military enthusiasts tend to lean towards the untouched look. Unless of course you want to do film work. And then there is provenance, if you can show it still has its proper service paint & correct contract number and, better still evidence that it would have seen service you can add on more. On the other hand no-one expects them to have matching numbers, in fact Id be a bit suspicious of one that did.
I'd say 9k and see what they say. Always good to start high :-)
alan.moore

Post by alan.moore »

Some insurers do not require an independent assessment of value if the 'agreed value' is under a certain amount. The 'level' for self assessment is no doubt different for each insurer so you would need to do a bit of ringing round to see what the situation is. I use Hagerty classic bike insurance and my 1951 6T has an agreed value of £11,000 and I just had to send a few photo's. (Whether I would get that if it got pinched or written off is another question)
I looked at Auction results on the web for similar bikes over the last 5 years and based my assessment on that. I kept a copy of those results and any others that come up just to justify the amount.
Cheers
Alan
1939 VH Redhunter;1942 RN WNG;1951 Triumph 6T Thunderbird;1970 BSA B175 Bantam;1986 Yamaha SRX600 single;1952 VHA engined project
http://cloggymoore.wix.com/triumph-pre-unit-6t
RTichard Woolnough
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

interestingly the subject of machine insurance value raised it's head at last nights combined VMCC/Velo/BSA/Ariel and other lame dogs and cripples, club night.
A Velo club member had recently purchased a KTS from a fellow member, this machine would have been not only mechanically perfect but visually also, Carol Nash insurance refused to insure it at a replacement value the owner thought was right, neither would back down so to speak and the disagreement was then handed to an independent adjudicator, I belive by the insurance conpany, this found in favour of the owner and the insurance company then agreed value.
Food for thought. kind regards
adrie.degraaff

Post by adrie.degraaff »

I don't know how it is in England but in Holland you pay a x amount per 1000 value, so if you say "it costed me 20.000 pounds" they take that as value until it's burned or stolen than they pay you the going rate of 7000 pounds? if your lucky.