Belgian WNG?

General talk about the W/NG
Simon.Gardiner
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Belgian WNG?

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

Can't see that petrol tank being anything but Ariel - it's got some very nice lining on it, someone will know if that's original (for an Ariel) or something someone's added. It's not a panel tank so could be 1950-ish??

The rocker feed looks to have been modified/fitted by someone not familiar with Ariels (doesn't matter as long as it works!), and at least you've got the correct horn bracket but we'll need Vincent's input to know if the person who last fitted that knew what they were doing! :D

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
simon.holyfield
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by simon.holyfield »

Simon.Gardiner wrote:Can't see that petrol tank being anything but Ariel - it's got some very nice lining on it, someone will know if that's original (for an Ariel) or something someone's added. It's not a panel tank so could be 1950-ish??
That's what I'm thinking. My W/NG has badge recesses & knee rubber threads, but no badge screw holes. This one looks like a civilian tank to me. Lining looks about right doesn't it?
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
Dick H

Post by Dick H »

The alloy timing chest cover and the rubber handlebar mountings point to this being an early W/NG which ties up with the frame number according to the Orchard/Madden books (the WD bibles!). As far as the tank is concerned, again the early ones had knee rubbers (before things hotted up in Burma) and I thought W/NGs had the badges (no screws, they were riveted I believe) all the way through the war but I stand to be corrected on that. It's the same shape as my W/NG and the lining could have been added in an attempt to lightly civilianise after the war, which is probably when the pillion seat and footrests were added which didn't come along until later. Then again, the tank could indeed be early post war. Either way, it's a cracking good find! You must do with it whatever takes your fancy. I've got mine in Greenlane trim, for which, with the original gearing, it's absolutely perfect!