W/NG questions

General talk about the W/NG
taulen

W/NG questions

Post by taulen »

Hello,

my grandfather graciously gave me his W/NG that he put together after pulling a frame with most of the parts still on from a river bed in Norway in the late 70's. The bike itself was used in the military in Norway until about 58-59 when it was sold at an auction.
The engine as I have been told wasnt there, but most other parts where, he got his hand on a newly built engine from NOS parts, and so the engine has no number at all, the frame number is XG28475, that from I can find in the draganfly pdf is listed as 'not used' (??)
The gearbox has the number XICPBL56484, and the carburator is an AMAL top-feed...
The rear mudguard has a small plate that says it was rebuilt to Class 1 on **.11.45 by Army Auxillary Workshop No 311 (i think), see attached images.

So to end it all, I think what Im looking for if is anyone are able to shed some light on the possible history on at least the frame, before it got to Norway ?
I do also wanna restore it again, but Im torn between if I wanna keep it a "civilian" bike or return it to its military roots...
Attachments
IMG_3775_1.JPG
IMG_3772.JPG
Ariel_1.JPG
PeterW
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: W/NG questions

Post by PeterW »

It's tricky to find detailed history beyond what was in the despatch books. I understand that batches were sold to the Norwegian military after the war but don't know if they came from a particular Auxiliary Workshop. I guess if many Norwegian owners have the same plate then they did. If not then it might be e-Norwegian Army or might be a civilian import. They were sold pretty cheap.
Apparently there is no record of which dealers / garages were the various workshops.

Putting it back into wartime paint should increase its value and without any provenance you could choose your prefered scheme, green, Khali, RAF blue etc.

Adverts in 1946 list them being sold in polychromatic blue or green. I've never seen one in these colours so restoring it like that would make it a novelty :-)
taulen

Post by taulen »

Okay, thank you for the information !

Actually the tank has a strange blue paint underneath the silver of today ... So maybe I will go that route ! :D

Btw Do you have the advert(s) from 1946 I could see ?
taulen

Post by taulen »

Found this after some googling, I guess this is what you mean?
Attachments
NaylorAndRootArielAdvert.jpg
alan.moore
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by alan.moore »

Whilst it does not answer the question re the Auxiliary workshops this webpage (Andy Tiernan archive page) shows a 1940 WNG rebuild by Auxiliary workshop B 180 in 1945. Apparently this bike also went to Norway and was used during the liberation. Quite a few good quality photos

http://www.andybuysbikes.com/archivehtml/5058arl.html

I am no expert on WNG's but this one does look pretty original so may be of help to the WNG group.

Cheers
Alan
1939 VH Redhunter;1942 RN WNG;1951 Triumph 6T Thunderbird;1970 BSA B175 Bantam;1986 Yamaha SRX600 single;1952 VHA engined project
http://cloggymoore.wix.com/triumph-pre-unit-6t
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

Go on the frame number. for original dating. It's the most reliable source in the circumstances. See "British forces Motorcycles" as a good reference source. It's a military bike having a unique frame, longer lighter forks different front wheel (36 spoke) and small "qualcast" brake and perhaps "trials" gear ratios still installed. There's plenty of civilian ARIELS. A military paint job saves a lot of money. The bike was the 1938 ISDT bike offered as a military version so has some pedigree. Nev
admin

Post by admin »

One of my WNG's may have come from Norway - based on the tyre markings (which had to be cut off as they were that hard with age)

cheers

John
taulen

Post by taulen »

John,

interesting ! :D

Btw I sent an email to the adress in your signature regarding my AOMCC membership, hope it went through!

And thanks for everyones comment, it gave me some ideas and more to think about before I decide what to do :D

Jonny
admin

Post by admin »

taulen wrote:John,

interesting ! :D

Btw I sent an email to the adress in your signature regarding my AOMCC membership, hope it went through!

Jonny
hmmm

no it didn't .. hmm...

cheers

John