My 1951 NH Red Hunter Project

paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: My 1951 NH Red Hunter Project

Post by paul.jameson »

Welcome James.

Can I take issue with the idea that the bike is beyond the oily rag stage? There are many worse machines in regular use in the AOMCC so a full restoration is optional, rather than essential. You might enjoy a few rides as it is before you dismantle the bike.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

Can I pick the brains of some of you people? On what models was THAT short (no panel) tank used? It appears to be Identical with the one on my 1950 VCH and similar to the W/NG tanks which have no mounts for the tank insignia and a slightly different RH front edge near the steering head. (there's an allowance for the wiring harness {or throttle cable}half way down in the W/NG). Also while you're there, I thought the rear guard in 1950, (or perhaps in 1951) hinged under the seat, and eliminated the hinged section at the rear. By the way the stay at the rear is on upside down. The bends at the front ends arc upwards to conform with the arc of the hinge. Easily rectified. Nev
david.anderson

Post by david.anderson »

1951 saw the one piece pivoting rear mudguard.
The 1950 lifting handle differed from 49 and prior versions in that it was made from tubular steel whereas prior versions were a pressed V shape. The one in the photo appears to be the 1950 version.
It may well be however that the bike was an early 1951 build and that the 1950 guard and stays were used, so I would keep it as is.
David
James Hickman
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by James Hickman »

paul.jameson wrote:Welcome James.

Can I take issue with the idea that the bike is beyond the oily rag stage? There are many worse machines in regular use in the AOMCC so a full restoration is optional, rather than essential. You might enjoy a few rides as it is before you dismantle the bike.
Hi Paul.
I appreciate an oily rag bike as much as the next man. However the engine doesn't turn, it has no ancillaries, controls or electrics and, when I lifted it onto the trolley, the front forks fell off. (My riding is therefore currently limited to sitting astride it when no one is looking and saying brmm brmm. :D)
However, I'm really looking forward to the restoration process and grateful for everyone's feedback so far.
'50 NH 350 (Shiny)
'29 Model B (Oily Rag)
Keith.owen

Post by Keith.owen »

Hi,
Concerning the rear mudguard, the stays appear to be a hybrid. According to Drags they were all separate, i.e. rear, centre and lifting handle. Also the colour is from a later year (according to Bacon). But again, Ariel would supply any colour requested if people could wait and further it looks nice!

Anyway whatever. The important thing is that you have a guard (since they are not readily available) and 99% of the population would know no different!

The picture below is not good definition and I shall try to find something better, but is of a pristine example of a 1951 NH albeit a spring frame. Of course it is a later example since the earlier ones pre nickel shortage had a chromed tank with the dark (damask) red side panels.

I'm using the picture as a reference for my restoration.
image3.png
image3.png (27.62 KiB) Viewed 6751 times
BR Keith
Keith Owen
Editor Cheval de Fer
1950 Rigid Ariel VH
1951 Rigid Ariel NH (under construction)
1973 Norton 850 Commando Interstate
James Hickman
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by James Hickman »

Hi Keith,

There are some good reference pictures that I plan to use at https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/18221/lot/348/ (may be the same machine)

At risk of upsetting those who go for originality at all costs, I'm planning on changing to the black and red colour scheme - I prefer it and it does seem to have been an original option.
'50 NH 350 (Shiny)
'29 Model B (Oily Rag)
Keith.owen

Post by Keith.owen »

Hi James,
I wouldn't be concerned about originality if it gets in the way of enjoying the machine. Also, as the machines were put to use things were replaced not always with factory original parts and also people bought after market accessories etc. to customise them. They also painted them different colours. If you replaced a carburettor in the 1970s it was more likely to be a sued monobloc or a new concentric. I put a sealed beam unit on mine in 1976 because the original reflector had rusted and this replacement gave better light. This is all part of the natural way of things. It would be interesting to see what the original log book says as to the colour (although as I say people did things and not always strictly in accordance with the law!).

Keith :mrgreen:
Keith Owen
Editor Cheval de Fer
1950 Rigid Ariel VH
1951 Rigid Ariel NH (under construction)
1973 Norton 850 Commando Interstate
simon.holyfield

Post by simon.holyfield »

I don't know if you have read the story of my W/NG. It's here:

http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.co.uk ... table.html

This restore it/oily rag decision is quite difficult sometimes. My W/NG is very original, apart from the handlebars and would make a great military bike but that red paint has been on there a long time. I also like the fact that someone has attempted to make it look like a 1950's Guzzi, so I have no plans to change it anytime soon. I rather like the demilitarized look.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
paul.jameson

Post by paul.jameson »

From what you say James, I appreciate your wisdom in taking the bike apart to see what else is wrong with it. But having done that, there is nothing to stop you putting it back together again having corrected the faults you find. Full restoration remains optional but more expensive that dismantling and reassembly with provision of missing parts.

It all boils down to what you want at the end of the process. Personally, I'm an absolute sucker for a fully restored, shiny bike.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

Getting back to the particular tank there. (small no panel ) What civilian bikes was it fitted to? Nev