1939 NH350, this Winters project

simon.holyfield
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re: 1939 NH350, this Winters project

Post by simon.holyfield »

I'd be asking him for any paperwork he may have. You need something linking the frame number to the original registration.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
Phil B
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Phil B »

I didn't buy it from the number plate dealer Simon, he just happens to be my neighbour.

The bike came from a mate in Chesterfield who bought it in '98 as a bike to simply potter about on, no thoughts as to it being anything classic or special.

He gave all his docs to me, nothing linked to the old number though.

Hence I was wondering whether the club could help.
NON SUFFICIT ORBIS

1939 NH
Vincent.vanGinneke

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

Really nice Ariel, congratulations on getting it!
Yes a few bits dont belong to it's specific year but it's all there.
To me the rear guard looks a bit massive compared to the front but it could be original although the rear stays dont look very much like they belong there. (and the number plate) Edit: oeps! I just looked at some '39 models and those stays are correct!
If you would change anything then this rear guard, maybe one that looks more in balance with the slim front one.
Yes, like Adrie writes, the tank is postwar, the Chronometric fitted is the giveaway, that should be a Smiths PA (now more or less unobtainable)
And for a PA you need another tank with the cable running inside to the rear of the tank. Now the cable goes straight down through it.
In my view not much wrong with the handlebar levers, they dont belong to it but they are period.
The exhaust pipe should have a more 'flowing' front bend, this one is to angular, and makes it look to 'modern'
The main front spring in the girder is a bit tired, the fork sags to much now. When unloaded the girder links should be more or less horizontal
Phil B
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Phil B »

Brilliant information Vincent, thank you!!
NON SUFFICIT ORBIS

1939 NH
paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by paul.jameson »

Engine and frame numbers match and the QD rear wheel is original. It went to a dealer in Derby. It had downswept pipes, a Lucas stop light (try finding one of them !) and a prop stand. It left the factory on 24th June 1939. The original speedo was an 80mph PA type. Unless someone has changed the gearing in the gearbox, which I doubt, the Chronometric speedo will read wrongly. PA speedos use a flex speed of 2240. Chronometrics on Ariels use a flex speed of 1610. Flex speed is rpm of the speedo cable at 60mph.

There is some hope that the original registration record may still exist but you will have to spend some time looking in archives to find it. If your bike was sold to someone in Derby City, the record could be in the Derbyshire archives in Matlock. If it was sold to someone outside the City, in Derbyshire County, then the record may be in Matlock or held privately in Loughborough, according to the information I have. DVLA will now insist on a link between frame number and registration number to give you the old registration back, I believe, and very few local authorities recorded frame numbers on their registration records. Whether Derby City or Derbyshire County did, I don't know.

PM me for more information on searching if you wish to.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
Phil B
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Phil B »

Wow Paul!

What a fantastic resource you are. That's truly fascinating stuff.

I've PM'd you re searching.

Thanks!
A very grateful Phil
NON SUFFICIT ORBIS

1939 NH
Phil B
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Phil B »

Can I ask what you meant by downswept pipes?

Two pipes? Or just a typo?

I had the idea the ones with two pipes had a different head/manifold design.
NON SUFFICIT ORBIS

1939 NH