Re: The KH project

Post by Paul Slootheer »

:D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :lol:
Steven.Carter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by Steven.Carter »

Vincent.vanGinneke wrote:Yes, Those '54 - '57 models are wonderfull & stylish machines !! :lol: :lol:
Hmm, I agree. being a 57 model myself. Although I must have been manufactured in 56 :D
Paul Slootheer
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by Paul Slootheer »

In my search for the right grade spark plugs for my KH It is nice I did find these NOS Lodge CN! :D
Although I do understand NGK B5HS will be a good alternative...
Attachments
IMG_2257.jpg
IMG_2258.jpg
Paul Slootheer

Post by Paul Slootheer »

Wet sumping...
Alas, despite the oil pump is reconditioned it is leaking and is causing wet sumping... :?
I understand this is cetainly not uncommon on these twins. I did take some time to think it over and how to cure this unpleasant habit.

Well someone told me the best way to avoid wet sumping is just ride the bike regular! However in real life that is not the case...

On the Net there's a abundance of inline systems, mostly relying on a ball and spring configuation as used with Velocette (but that is a roller bearing bigend!). Reviews from Norton users are both positive and negative... Although I did speak some who are satisfied about the Velo system I'am not realy convinced. I have the feeling there allways will be some kind of oil restriction due to the ball which have to be pulled into the spring to let the oil pass bye. The internal bore of a ''normal'' Ariel copper oil line is aprox. 1/4'' or 6.35 mil. and the solder nipple which connect the line on the engine will read a bore of about 5 mill.
I can't imagine the 'Velo valve' will give the same amount of free oil flow, but I can be mistaken?

:?: What thoughts are on this forum about this matter taken in account whe are talking about bigend shells and not a roller bearing?
john.whiting
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by john.whiting »

A lot of classic bike owners are fitting a valve from a Yamaha outboard for control of wet sumping.....Im told they are so popular,that the valves are on backorder,as supplies are sold out.
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

The Yamaha valve may indeed be very suitable. I've owned 5 Velo's and never had any problems with the original set up. Most bikes sump but the Ariel PLUNGER type shouldn't so don't worry about any valve or tap on THOSE engines.
The twin and later squares are gear type. If you have a tap one day someone will forget it, or I had someone (not me) turn the oil tap off on my Scott, ( a two stroke with a pilgrim pump). thinking it was the fuel tap, to stop the carby dripping. Murphy's law again. anyhow back to subject. The Velo valve is bigger than the bore of the oil pipe and has a very LIGHT spring. It also has one of the best oil pumps in the business. that sucks it open reliably. This set up CAN work, but I doubt I would trust something just knocked up from a few parts and a ball bearing and spring. The twins have an oil pressure gauge as do the squares. IF you ALWAYS check oil pressure normal on ALL starts a tap may work for you.. I am loathe to suggest something that operates electrically or on vacuum from the reliability aspect. Nev
Vincent.vanGinneke

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

First I had a small micro switch acting on the tap lever but that fell victim to Norton vibration.
Later this before flight tab.
5 sept 2010 (8).jpg
Paul Slootheer

Post by Paul Slootheer »

Vincent.vanGinneke wrote:First I had a small micro switch acting on the tap lever but that fell victim to Norton vibration.
Later this before flight tab.
fe5faa73-ee1f-4051-bca0-0d3796cb2e3b.jpg
Vincent this 'before flight tab' looks quite fool-proof, and certainly can be a option.
Maybe this cord will also work in the same way and wil remind: ''Mind the Tap!!!!"
Attachments
mind-the-Tap-i56132.jpg
mind-the-Tap-i56132.jpg (79.46 KiB) Viewed 5678 times
Steven.Carter

Post by Steven.Carter »

Is it possible to fit a drain plug to the sump plate? maybe you could then just drain the oil out before riding.

Steve