375 carb.

specifications, colours, contract nos, variations etc
FOR GENERAL ENGINE AND GEARBOX, USE THE FOUR STROKE TECHNICAL FORUM
Rgray

375 carb.

Post by Rgray »

Hi fellas

My wng has a 375 concentric fitted but the slide is shot and float punctured. Also the float needle is plastic and sticks causing flooding.

Although I could get the bike to start and tick over, I have no Idea if this carb is ideal.

I think I just want to buy a new carb but not sure what will work best.

All suggestions welcome. It's not a resto, I just want to get it out on the road.

Cheers.
Rob
1966 Rickman Metisse, Lambretta Series2 with 35 ponies...weeeee
simon.holyfield
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re: 375 carb.

Post by simon.holyfield »

You can buy a brand new 276 these days. Ask these guys:

http://amalcarb.co.uk/carburettor-for-a ... -7540.html

You can't get the original 275 yet though, but the guys will tell you it is a little under size anyway.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
Rgray

Post by Rgray »

Brilliant! Thanks.
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

That's only a picture of the (later) carb and many parts are not available as it states. Ie essential parts like body and jet block aren't being made. The jet block is quite complex and soldered together at time of manufacture. Some brass bodies were made in Australia that last better than the diemetal product and some earlier were made for Rudges , earlier Ariel BSA etc. as standard in their day and are worth putting time into to repair. Nev
Rgray

Post by Rgray »

I botch fixed my carb so the bike is useable but ended up with buying a 1 inch 376/16 monobloc.

I orderd over the phone from Hitchcocks because they always seem to be the fastest off the mark, when it comes to Amal and have bought several carbs off them in the past.

They really thought that I should go with the 275 for the looks but at twice the price for the same performance (and less chance of springing a leak) I decided on the 376.

Ohh.. Just got an email and its alredy built, jetted and sent. 8-)
admin
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by admin »

I have had a few different carburettors on WNG engines

A couple of different pre-monoblocs, in both 7/8" and 1".
I found very little change in performance when I upgraded one bike from the former to the latter.
The pre-monobloc is standard fitment, works out of the box on the factory jetting but suffers the ills of pre-monoblocs( i.e. leaks, float overflows etc)

I had a monobloc on briefly, using the jetting from later NH's. If I remember, I had to change jet size ?

I had a new concentric on for a little while and that took a little playing with jetting but that was fine too. The main advantage with the concentric is that it is pretty cheap to buy new.

the last pre-monobloc i fitted was resleeved.
with resleeving costs and new bits, then it added up to nearly 2/3rds the cost of a complete new one from amal
Rgray

Post by Rgray »

I ridden quite a few ring rides on the monoblock now and have to say its a lot better than it used to be.
Rgray

Post by Rgray »

I`ll bring up this one too...

I was out with a fellow W/ng`er and my mate can rev a little more than me and doesn`t have to change gear as often.

As far as we are aware, we have the same gearing but I`m pretty sure I read somewhere here (Can`t find it now), that most go slightly up on the factory reccomended jetting.

What are other wng owners running?

I have a 1 inch carb, but thats what Hitchcocks roccomended because I have a 1inch manifold. If its been opened or came like that from Ariel I don`t know.