1949 square four VH petrol tank

Singles, twins and fours.
Brian.Anderson

1949 square four VH petrol tank

Post by Brian.Anderson »

I have just started restoring a 1949 Ariel square four, I obtained a dating certificate from Draganfly there was a footnote that it came with a VH tank. Before I start to restore the tank that was on the bike when I got it I want to make sure that is is the type that came originally with this one. I have looked in parts books and have not been able to come up with an illistration. The tank has chrome, a triangular plate on top. a speedo, oil gage and small light the emblems are rectangular. If anyone can tell me if this is what is refered to as a VH tank that would be very helpfull.
Thanks,
Brian
brenton.roy
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by brenton.roy »

Hi Brian, the correct tank is the panel type, but wider than the tanks used for single cylinder Ariels. Roughly measured, the square four tank is about 36cm wide behind the badges, the VH tank about 32cm . The panel is the same. I found this picture on the net. I think the PA speedo is correct, the fixing bolts should be screws and the tank should be chrome and red or black.
Brenton
Attachments
1948-Ariel-Square-Four-Black-5513-5.jpg
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.
Brian.Anderson

Post by Brian.Anderson »

Thanks, Brenton the tank is very similar to the one I have so it is probably the original after all, one less thing to look for, I am missing the carb, seat, ammeter,oil gauge and a few other things, It will be a long project.
thanks again for you quick help for my question.
Brian
San Diego
California
brenton.roy

Post by brenton.roy »

Hi Brian,
Lucky you - these tanks aren't that easy to find. The other bits you mention, not so bad. You could buy a small house for the cost of the PA speedo...
I hope it goes well.
Brenton
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.