1927 A/B rear hub/brake assembly

Singles, twins and fours.
IanSlade

1927 A/B rear hub/brake assembly

Post by IanSlade »

Is there anywhere where I might find a schematic of the layout of spacers, washers, thin nuts, shouldered nuts etc that make up the rear wheel spindle/brake assembly? The parts list for a '27 B does not really help much.
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re: 1927 A/B rear hub/brake assembly

Post by nevhunter »

A most essential piece of information, for any of these bikes. When I get it I print it off and cover with plastic for workshop use. Nev
cmfalco
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by cmfalco »

IanSlade wrote:Is there anywhere where I might find a schematic of the layout of spacers, washers, thin nuts, shouldered nuts etc that make up the rear wheel spindle/brake assembly?
It probably won't happen fast enough to help you, but I'm about to start the complete rebuild of a 1928 Model C that arrived at my house yesterday. I intend to extensively document the rebuild, although I haven't decided yet where to post the material. Unfortunately, the AOMCC site doesn't have much activity so it isn't the best choice.
simon.holyfield

Post by simon.holyfield »

cmfalco wrote:... I intend to extensively document the rebuild, although I haven't decided yet where to post the material. Unfortunately, the AOMCC site doesn't have much activity so it isn't the best choice.
Why don't you blog it, or post it here on the forum?

I've been blogging my last couple of restorations and I'm pleased with the results. For me, it's more useable than the single articles I produced for the Bantam, Matchless and AJS rebuilds.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
cmfalco

Post by cmfalco »

simon.holyfield wrote:Why don't you blog it, or post it here on the forum?
Documenting a restoration in a way others will find interesting takes a lot of work so it makes sense to post it where it will be found. There are 25 threads/page on the AOMCC site, and looking back through the Four Stroke section a typical thread gets a few hundred hits. Only ~1 out of 100 reaches 1000 hits. In contrast, I've been documenting my restoration of an uncommon BSA on the BritBike Forum and it's nearing 350,000 hits.

Although providing a lot more 'bang for the buck,' unfortunately BritBike Forum makes it very time consuming to post photographs so the thought of starting another restoration thread there is off putting. Anyway, this is why I haven't decided yet what I'm going to do about the Ariel restoration.
simon.holyfield

Post by simon.holyfield »

Well, FYI I get 40-50,000 hits per year on my blog.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
IanSlade

Post by IanSlade »

sadly no info forthcoming here. I have ended up using a washer next to the bearing then a 'thin nut' and a short spacer to get the right spacing for the brake plate although I have nothing that is a good fit for the centre hole on the brake plate. Perhaps a bit of lateral movement could be good/ intentional to help braking /shoe alignment? Ring any bells anyone??
Thanks, Ian
Leslie.Ore
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Leslie.Ore »

Dave Owen is probably a good person to ask,he is on this forum.
john.deeth

Post by john.deeth »

Ian,
What are you planning to do for a silencer for your '27?
IanSlade

Post by IanSlade »

John, I ordered one from Armours but when it came the bracket was in the wrong place so they are making a special with nickel plate rather than chrome so that it matches the pipe.