What brand for mainbearings VH

Singles, twins and fours.
Vincent.vanGinneke
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

What brand for mainbearings VH

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

Hello,
Can someone tell me what brand of mainbearings is nowadays o.k. for a VH ?
Just go to my local SKF dealer ? or is something more sophisticated needed .........
Vincent

And to show the need for decent mainbearings; bike & rider : Dutchman Frits Selling scrambling a '56 model MkI
1956, Frits Selling on Ariel HS MkI.JPG
john.whiting
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by john.whiting »

You ll probably get rollers from SKF at a price,you might also try Ransome and Marles,who have a website.I believe RHP [Jap owned ] no longer produce lipped rollers. The thrifty Dutch are more inclined to use all ball bearings,at a very considerable saving.New spacers may be required .Regards John.
Vincent.vanGinneke

Thanks John, I'll look up the site of R&M
Vincent
Vincent.vanGinneke

Hello John, I got this quote from R&M, are this reasonable prices?

1 piece Hoffmann Roller Bearing RL10L ( 1 inch x 2.1/4 inches x 5/8 - Outer Race separates in one direction only ) at 44.00 GB Pounds.
1 piece Hoffmann Ball Bearing LS10 ( 1 inch x 2.1/4 x 5/8 ) at 15.00 GB Pounds.
1 piece Hoffmann Roller Bearing RMS10 ( 1 inch x 2.1/2 inches x 3/4 - Outer Race separates in both directions ) at 48.00 GB Pounds.
All the bearings are in stock and can be shipped immediately.
Airmail to the Netherlands is 20.00 GB Pounds.
john.whiting

Post by john.whiting »

Hello Vincent,the prices are good,about half SKF prices for the rollers.I have never dealt with R&M,only found them after paying too much for new old stock RHP rollers for a Norton,from a local rip off merchant.I didnt know they were still going,assuming that they were part of RHP. Every English company seems to have a complicated story of mergers ,going bust,rising from the ashes ,more mergers,name sold to Chinese etc.Ref Hepolite pistons ,now made in China.Regards John.
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

I don't recommend using the large roller that can come out ( outer sleeve), in the drive side case. This can happen when the case gets hot as the original interference may be lacking.
My last few engines are built with good quality ball bearings through out. Must of the damage to bearings these days, where the engines are not used regularly , is corrosion. The engine does not get hot enough on short runs to get the moisture out. A gallon of petrol produces more than a gallon of water when combusted and some of this ends up in the crankcase because of blow-by.
Modern ball bearings have a better load carrying capacity than many used to be for the same size.
If your motor is not racing on alcohol with a very high compression ratio, I don't think they (rollers),are essential. Nev