Regulators Ammeters n stuff

General electrical problems
paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Regulators Ammeters n stuff

Post by paul.jameson »

I had a misfire much as the one you describe and it took me ages to find. The stud on the side of the distributor had become unsoldered from the strap which runs from it round to the points. Once re-soldered I had no further problems. Poor connections on the low tension side of the ignition tend to give problems once the machine has fully warmed up so I would be looking in that area.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
Brian.Fosh
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Brian.Fosh »

Thanks Paul.

I'll re-solder the joint as you suggest in the morning. Low Tension side connections sound very plausible.

My previous post on this thread, reporting the battery acid level half way down the plates... turned out to be an exaggeration... it was only 1/8" below the tops of the plates when I topped up today so although I checked today and confirm the ELE regulator charging is close on 4 amps with lights off, I don't now think this is causing the missing on my sq4

New distributor cap and HT coil also now on order.

Cheers. Brian
bruce.carrad

Post by bruce.carrad »

I have had no experience with electronic regulators although I have heard a few tales of their faulty performance. Many times due to reverse battery connections! I have successfully brought many stuffed mechanical (?) regulators back to life. Both 6 and 12 volt. It is vital that the regulator contacts are totally free of pits. I use diamond spatulas (imported from the UK by the way) and also sharpening stones. I buy up any 6 volt regulators I see at what we call "swap meets" (auto jumbles) here. I do this as the cut out winding has a habit of going open circuit ( a dis winding in Post Office jargon). Also 12volt regulators can be a useful source for regulator and cut out armatures if their contacts are not excessively pitted. A moving coil voltmeter is necessary to adjust the regulator to give 7.8 to 8.2 volts with a piece of paper in the cut out points.
Cheers
Bruce