engine sprocket for W/NG 350

Singles, twins and fours.
mengels

engine sprocket for W/NG 350

Post by mengels »

Hi all,
I searched the forum, but could not find an answer...Maybe one of you know the answer to my question.
I have a 20T two lobe engine sprocket on my W/NG 350, but I still find it a bit to revvy. Is it possible to mount a 23T two lobe engine sprocket (if I'm correct standard on a 500cc single cylinder) or is this asking to much of the engines bottom end? Please advise....
Many thanks..

Kind regards,

Maarten
ian.scott
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: engine sprocket for W/NG 350

Post by ian.scott »

I would think that was far too big a step . I tried a 24T on my VH instead of a standard 23T and I didn't like it and changed back.

Ian
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

I do a lot of riding on my W/NG even up till yesterday with a Xmas club run, and it's got the standard sprocket. Any taller would spoil it 's flexibility. Having the big jump to 3rd makes it more important to not gear it up any more. It's standard (non hotted up in any way) but a lot of it is NEW old stock mechanically, including head and valves, camshaft and piston etc but it has been running since 2001 without any work on it other than oil and chain adjustment and a rear tire replaced, being worn out. Nev
mengels

Post by mengels »

Thanks for the replies, I will try a smaller step. Is it possible to use the two lobe 21T from the BSA A7 / A10 from the 50's for this purpose? I understand that there are no Ariel 21T or 22T engine sprockets...
dave.owen
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by dave.owen »

Ariel do all sizes for singles from 19-23 tooth. Bsa sprocket will not fit..

Try a 21,bear in mind that the wng has a 20 gearbox sprocket whilst most other singles had a 19t.so going up from 20 on the engine may overgear the bike in top gear

Dave
AOMCC Treasurer
mengels

Post by mengels »

Thanks for the input Dave. Can you provide a name or address were I can order one of these Ariel engine sprockets?
Many thanks...

Maarten
dave.owen

Post by dave.owen »

Drags single spares, or ebay your best bet.

I'll check what I have

Dave
AOMCC Treasurer
john.mitchell

Post by john.mitchell »

John Mitchell on VCH small.jpg
I agree that 19tooth sprockets are best for W/NGs .
I think the area which makes it feel so buzzy is the low 3rd gear. It is possible to fit the civilian 3rd gear which transforms its road use. I had a '49 VCH which was fitted as standard with the W/NG ratioed CP gearbox. Although I ran a 23 tooth engine sprocket, it was really unpleasant up hills where top was too high. Fitting a standard ratio box transformed it.
Sorry, Dave, it is quite possible to fit a BSA engine sprocket set - I had a 17 tooth one on my heavily modified Trials W/NG for years. But ... it was not until I broke a chain and smashed the primary case, that I found out that the primary case outer was from a rigid twin. The singles outer has a slightly smaller dome and the spring just hits it. It might well be possible to machine a bit off the singles case inside because the twin outers are hard to find and difficult to recognise .
Attachments
ariel 350 trials 001.jpg
John Mitchell
Ex Editor Cheval de Fer (1998-2021)
mengels

Post by mengels »

Will try your option John, I have to collect a 21T BSA sprocket from a friend of mine next week...will let you all know if it will fit (with or without a small modification to the primary case....)
Nice pictures btw....
john.mitchell

Post by john.mitchell »

It has just struck me that it might also be possible to fit a really thick gasket - perhaps leather might be an option. But where would you ever find an Ariel enthusiast who could make a leather gasket ...
John Mitchell
Ex Editor Cheval de Fer (1998-2021)