'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
RTichard Woolnough
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: w/ng purchase

Post by RTichard Woolnough »

Thanks Simon, I had a feeling this would be the case, an easy repair in the desert with limited tools and a damaged mounting I don't think!, guess the original wrong one which does the job will be replaced until the end of the riding season when I can get the bike on the bench, oh doh! kind regards
RTichard Woolnough
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

done quite a bit of fettling to the old gal, POR 15 in the tank, rebuilt the Ewarts tap with new corks from Thornbt, amc chap who advertises on t'bay, bought two packets as I lost the first on the Sittingbourne weekend, :( or so I thought, when the second arrived I found the originals! :roll: , never mind, can a chap have to many corks?, dismantled the carb and put it through my sonic cleaner, thats better, made a slightly longer brake lever for the front give a tad more pressure, I think, sorted the saddle so it stays put and retained the cover with small ba nuts/bolts disconnected the mercury activated stop light switch, gonna ask the p/o if he also makes bombs! so at this present moment she seems to be pretty good.
She wants to be as a week tomorrow,10th inst, my 'lil chum and I, together with Tony Page and Ian Kerr who some of you may know through their writings for bike comics, are owf to Latvia for the rally organised by Juris Rambus, my chum is taking his 1934 BSA sloper, an ex Kent Constabulary machine and I of course the W/NG. An interesting coincidence about the BSA is that both 'lil chum and I were emplyed for the duration by KCC.
Will let you know if any other Ariels turn up, kind regards
RTichard Woolnough
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

well I took the old gal to Latvia got back just 3 weeks ago, 1500 miles there and the same back, 520 K's on the bike in Latvia, she didn't miss a beat but did leak a bit from the fuel taps towards the end and flooded the carb a bit also. I had to drive back by myself with the strong non ethenol petrol smell in the van, nearly intoxicated after four days driving.
No other Ariels on the rally and there probably has never been a W/NG in Latvia before, couple of other army bikes , a WLA ridden by a youngish Latvian amd an Auto Union 1939, ex German military twin port 2 stroke, owned by an Estonian and by the 'arry did it go!the owner wore German 'Camo' the last day and even sported the leather shoulder webbing, belt, and banned in Germany, a genuine belt buckle with the swastica in the centre, 'twas a cracking ' jolly' but to far to do again.
This coming Saturday I'm taking her to the Irish in Killarney that will be interesting.
kind regards
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

Leaking corks and carb flooding. Not unusual. But it stinks your van out. You can get a new bowl (bare or complete) The seat can't be replaced and needle (all genuine) and as for the fuel tap corks I often just leave the tap on to stop them shrinking. There's a bit of a risk in that of course but that's why I do the first FIX first. I think some W/NG's had top of bowl feed/ Has anyone any knowledge of this? Nev
adrie.degraaff
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by adrie.degraaff »

nevhunter wrote:I think some W/NG's had top of bowl feed/ Has anyone any knowledge of this? Nev
That's an interesting question, a bottemfeed can vibrate loose ending your race so i tought topfeed is Red Hunter but cann't find proof of this.
simon.holyfield

Post by simon.holyfield »

They were top feed until late 41 if I recall correctly. I have a selection of reproduction parts books, I'll take a look.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
Paul Slootheer
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by Paul Slootheer »

Allright! mine is bottom feed and dates 1940... Although the carburettor is genuine W/NG, I'am not shure about the bowl. Could be a later carburettor?
simon.holyfield

Post by simon.holyfield »

Mines bottom feed too, but it's 1942. I'm not at home to check the lists - it may be they changed in 1940...
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
RTichard Woolnough
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

well I took th old gal to the Irish national last week 500 plus miles , I think, over the Killarney mountain roads, well they call 'em roads over there! first day out preceeding the rally running well then decides to 'play up. got home after 10 miles or so at 20/25mph only to find the float chamber top to completely unscrewed, lucky to still have it, sorted I thought 'till halfway through next morning she won't start and when she finally agrees to go will not rev and will only run on full choke, finally when back at the hotel bite the bullet and remove the main jet, there was a bogey in it 3/4 size of the orifice no wonder it wouln't go!
Then find a nut has fallen off the saddle ! spring, you can imagine the comments this brought
back together and apart from a slight petrol leak and losing the slide adjustment screw she ran the rest of the rally with few problems. The only W/ng at the rally, I am beginning to have quite an affection for the old lady. kind regards