w/ng purchase

General talk about the W/NG
RTichard Woolnough
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: w/ng purchase

Post by RTichard Woolnough »

Simon there is a single all steel footpeg on fleabay I believe it must be a later one because it has the flat ribbed footrest part and I understand that mine 1942, would have had a rubber mounted one, which it does have both sides but as mentioned before are not identical , I'm summising that this, my, footrest would have a round profile to accept the rubber, just musing whether I could reprofile the later flat one to accept a rubber should it be identical in all other respects? kind regards
simon.holyfield
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by simon.holyfield »

Have you seen my blog post on this subject Richard? I have the same problem I think.

http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.co.uk ... s.html?m=1

Not original, but it's an option.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
RTichard Woolnough
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Simon, I have taken a couple of pics which I shall get sent to you for uploading if you will, I am now not to sure which of my footrests are wrong or if indeed perhaps both are, like your's my offside rest fouls the gearbox casing so cannot be adjusted very well in the horizontal plane, once I can get the bike on a ramp I will have both off and examine them perhaps they would be better changed round? however I am now leaning to the fact the nearside may be correct albeit with the 'R' clip and t'other not so. kind regards
simon.holyfield

Have a look at the post under the RH footrest. We can compare notes and check it is the right length. My RH footrest is quite close to the gearbox cover nuts.

Mail the pictures when you are ready - I'll get them posted.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
RTichard Woolnough
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Simon pics have been sent to your mail addresss, kind regards
RTichard Woolnough
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

got my brake shoes back from Breens in Maidstone today, £16.20, I will live with this, I asked for a soft material as when they relined my 190mm Goldie shoes a while back because of what it was they used a very hard lining material of the kind for racing machines, consequently the thing is about as much good on ordinary roads and speeds as a one legged man at an arse kicking contest!, however any one in the Kent area need sshoes lined these people are very approachable and friendly, just tell 'em what you want.
Just need to sort the new felt seals out, the delightful lady at the suppliers I approached sent me 2 as a sample or I would have had to buy £20 worth, only thing is she forgot to cut the centres out so 'tis necessary to obtain a piece of 20mm tubing and turn up a punch doh! I shall probably have to make a new brake rod, I have some small stainless rod about the correct size, the one on it has no thread in parts at the bottom and appears to have been two pieces brazed together kind regards
RTichard Woolnough
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

so continuing with the saga of this newly aquired W/NG, I noticed the rear brake arm to be at a rather shallow angle so perhaps I had better look at the linings, what a nightmare removing the wheel! I had to release all the present stays then remove the chain guard, to access the front retaining bolt I had to remove the battery carrier for access to it, what a revelation, the carrier appears homemade with the bottom cut out to access the retaining bolts by drilling and then bashing a piece out, a previous owner must have been in the butchery trade! :roll:
anyway I have retained, and been falling over for the past 20 odd yrs, an early, probably BSA, battery carrier which I am sure I can adapt to fit and replace it, gonna have to do something with the chain guard rear securing strap to make it easier to remove though.
Having got the wheel out I notice the steel brake plate has an aduster at the pivot end of the alloy shoes which are fitted, similar to those found on the full width alloy hubs,
my question is, did the W/Ng have these fitted as standard or, as I suspect, is it a later offering just used on my machine?
Oh, I managed to straighten the all metal footrest, cut a sliver off each side and it now fits O.K with the original rubber thereon.
kind regards
simon.holyfield

W/NGs have the adjuster, Richard, but only on the back.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
RTichard Woolnough
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Thanks for that Simon, I am quite surprised to find that such was fitted so early, kind regards
RTichard Woolnough
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

'nother bit of butchery found today although I had a feeling this would be the case, obtained the second correct footrest for the bike, so take the n/s wrong one off, the one with a R pin in it, taper has been ground down so the mounting fits the new one like a pxxck ina top hat! now I'm toying with seeking a replacement or taking this one off, building up with weld and turning another taper, that will exercise my limited skills! my question is will I have to remove all the sodding primary chain case etc to remove the mounting tube, grr,grr, grr? kind regards