'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
RTichard Woolnough
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: w/ng purchase

Post by RTichard Woolnough »

Hi Paul, got my wires crossed a bit there, I would agree with you a U,K, bike would quite possibly have been demobbed and registered in '46, on the old log book would be recorded the date of first registration not manufacture today of course that would be lost on a DVLA clerk [and I don't mean that offensively] thus it would be recorded on the V5c as date of manufacture thus recorded as 'declared manufactured 1946' anyway Simon has kindly posted pictures of it, the contraption is an oil filter fitted by the P/O as he runs it on diesel detergent oil. kind regards
simon.holyfield
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by simon.holyfield »

Your pictures have shown me how the pillion footrest fits around the tool box! I didn't realise that it was supposed to fold backwards...
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
RTichard Woolnough
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

don't expect there would have been any fitted originally so to avoid the original toolbox it will only fold to the rear, not to sure I like the safety implications it needs to be inclined upward a tad if possible, mind you I do not suppose I will carry any pillion, 'nother thought just crossed my mind -when these machines required MOT exam if a pillion seat/saddle was fitted then the corresponding pillion footrests were required, found this out when I had to fabricate a set for my G80cs fitted with an awkward upswept pipe. kind regards
RTichard Woolnough
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

took the ole gal out just now for the first time, what a revalation lovely soft motor, she handled quite well actually I can see this becoming addictive, you seem to progress at a stately pace rather than tearing about, however started stuttering a mile or so from home but managed to get into my garage, petrol shortage I think and the copper supply was leaking at the lower joint, sorted this but very low on fuel so no go at present, on a different note P.O believes the tank has been lined and the lining is coming away blocking the supply at times, having fitted copper pipe both end connections soldered 'tis difficult to fit an inline filter so any ingenious idear's will be welcome, or should I just fit a flexible pipe with a filter 'till I can sort out the tank? kind regards
simon.holyfield

RTichard Woolnough wrote:took the ole gal out just now for the first time, what a revelation lovely soft motor, she handled quite well actually I can see this becoming addictive, you seem to progress at a stately pace rather than tearing about, however started stuttering a mile or so from home but managed to get into my garage, petrol shortage I think and the copper supply was leaking at the lower joint, sorted this but very low on fuel so no go at present, on a different note P.O believes the tank has been lined and the lining is coming away blocking the supply at times, having fitted copper pipe both end connections soldered 'tis difficult to fit an inline filter so any ingenious idea's will be welcome, or should I just fit a flexible pipe with a filter 'till I can sort out the tank? kind regards
Excellent news Richard - I am waiting for a dating certificate now: Alan Bedford, member from Cromer, came over to inspect last week which was great.

Have a look at the filter on the petrol tap. If that is sound and the tank is full, I'd be surprised if it would block.
Last edited by simon.holyfield on Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
john.mitchell
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by john.mitchell »

Have a look at the breather on the petrol cap too...
John Mitchell
Ex Editor Cheval de Fer (1998-2021)
RTichard Woolnough
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

tightened the leaking carb union, that was fun had to take the float bowl off to access it, filled it up with some juice, lo and behold instand go, I have to admit to being a bit low on petrol I think, kind regards
RTichard Woolnough
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

me again, speedo does't work so I have had a look at it, not sure what I'm seeking mind you thought perhaps a clean might assist, anyway all the little wheels move when spun but nothing is being transferred to the needle, firstly any suggestions why?, then thought of removing the needle and face and washing it in my sonic cleaner having removed the odometer wheels first of course, anyway what does anyone think, and how do Iremove the needle or should I just bite the bullet and have it professionally sorted? I believe it is an original military one it has the early Smiths face and has at one time had the small rivet locking the bezel in place. kind regards
simon.holyfield

RTichard Woolnough wrote:me again, speedo does't work so I have had a look at it, not sure what I'm seeking mind you thought perhaps a clean might assist, anyway all the little wheels move when spun but nothing is being transferred to the needle, firstly any suggestions why?, then thought of removing the needle and face and washing it in my sonic cleaner having removed the odometer wheels first of course, anyway what does anyone think, and how do I remove the needle or should I just bite the bullet and have it professionally sorted? I believe it is an original military one it has the early Smiths face and has at one time had the small rivet locking the bezel in place. kind regards
I suggest you get it professionally sorted. They are not overly complicated internally and your problem is probably just a greasy clutch; however you do see the drive pinions stripped sometimes and they are difficult to get bits for. The needle pulls off using a watch hand puller on the little hub but it's not for the faint hearted.

Don't put any liquid near the face. Don't rub the face, don't wash it, breath on it, look at it in a funny way, blaspheme in its presence or the letters will smudge.

Did I mention that you shouldn't wash it? Patina is the name of the game when it comes to speedo faces.
Last edited by simon.holyfield on Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A