No need to rush!

Alec.Elliot

No need to rush!

Post by Alec.Elliot »

Evening Gents

Having just turned 60 and having had this "project" for more years than I care to think about I decided to move things along a bit. Its my 1955 SQ4 (Mongrel or hybrid depending on your point of view.) Its a 55 frame, etc, etc with a 49 engine and gearbox or at least, its going to be. (I have the bits of the original engine but they are in such a state this was the best option. (I think!)

I bought this as a basket case many years ago at Pughs auction in Ledbury (Mrs E. thinks its a wicked place.) and have slowly been collecting bits and pieces for it. Next step will be to tackle the engine in three bite size chunks (bottom end, block and pistons then head)

I do need a couple of bits (one off cast iron exhaust manifold and the simplex (not duplex) half time gear if any one has these they can spare.)

One thing that is puzzling me is the foot rest assembly shown in the photos. Does any one have a photo of how this should look?
IMG_0813.JPG
IMG_0812.JPG
IMG_0811.JPG

I think that the long rod is correct as are the extension pieces but the footrests themselves do not seem right. They are both different I have had a look at the Drags info but am still not sure. This bike came as a box of bits so there could very well be a few components of another bike.

Best regards

Alec
roger.fellows
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: No need to rush!

Post by roger.fellows »

Hi Alec, I think each footrest should be one piece which fits on the taper. The internal taper of the footrest has a cranked arm and then the peg. The 'lugs' on your footrest internal tapers look alien. Somebody will come along and give you a definitive answer and perhaps even a photo.

Looks very good so far.

Roger
robjameson

Post by robjameson »

The footrests you are showing look like late swinging arm frame footrests, and therefore are wrong for a plunger bike. That is probably the source of your head scratching!
Rob Jameson
AOMCC Member Number 4068
1957 Ariel VH
1954 Ariel KH
1948 Ariel 4G with 1920's Ariel Sidecar/Triumph Chassis
AOMCC Twin Spares Organiser
Brian.Fosh
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Brian.Fosh »

Very nice..
I think once you've posted piccies like this, you really become duty bound to finish in a timely manner.. I think It's a forum rule.

I had a SQ4 in blue and, photo colours permitting, you seem to have the shade nicely spot on.

Brian.
paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by paul.jameson »

Son Rob is correct on the footrests but Drags will sell you the ones you need. PM me for a cast iron exhaust manifold.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.