Ongoing Footrest Dilemma

specifications, colours, contract nos, variations etc
FOR GENERAL ENGINE AND GEARBOX, USE THE FOUR STROKE TECHNICAL FORUM
admin
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Ongoing Footrest Dilemma

Post by admin »

RTichard Woolnough wrote:my nearside footrest is slightly back from the offside one so they are not exactly in line with each other, there is also a 'R' pin in the n/side one are both characteristics normal? kind regards

there is a single bar (threaded at each end) that goes through the engine plates.
The footrest mounts (pics above) slot over this and then the foot rests jam onto their tapers.
This means that your footrests should line up with each other, unless the foot-rests are bent or different (they should be identical)

A bent bar wont go easily through the holes in the engine plates (the two plates aren't far apart and the holes aren't huge)

R pins are not standard.. there should just be a nut on each end.
RTichard Woolnough
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by RTichard Woolnough »

after nearly 75 yrs I'm not particularly surprised that they are not quite right! thanks I will ask Simon to post a picture when I, or should I say swmbo, sends him them, kind regards
simon.holyfield
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by simon.holyfield »

RTichard Woolnough wrote:after nearly 75 yrs I'm not particularly surprised that they are not quite right! thanks I will ask Simon to post a picture when I, or should I say swmbo, sends him them, kind regards
Mine were a) bent and b) mismatched as well Richard. Send pics when you are ready. I am off to India for a few days tomorrow (work) - will post if I can find some Wi-Fi.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
RTichard Woolnough
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

hi guys. I'mpretty sure the nearside footrest is incorrect, the taper wrong and thus necessitating the 'R' clip to prevent any movement, however I'm also a little sceptical of the rear brake pedal being correct, can some one give me the length from the pivot of a correct one please? kind regards
simon.holyfield

RTichard Woolnough wrote:hi guys. I'm pretty sure the nearside footrest is incorrect, the taper wrong and thus necessitating the 'R' clip to prevent any movement, however I'm also a little sceptical of the rear brake pedal being correct, can some one give me the length from the pivot of a correct one please? kind regards
Your brake pedal looks similar to mine Richard? Or at least I think so?
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
RTichard Woolnough
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

I have posted a link on the 'specific pats wanted' postings to ebay, the illustration shows differing length tapered pins, I accept that the parts book shows differing no's for these items but only illustrates equal length fittings, perhaps this is where confusion and wrongly mounted pegs originates if this is the problem in my case I shall elongate if neccessary the shorter carrier, oh also to get a datum reference for the correct footpeg I have purchased the all metal one from the bay. kind regards
simon.holyfield

RTichard Woolnough wrote:after nearly 75 yrs I'm not particularly surprised that they are not quite right! thanks I will ask Simon to post a picture when I, or should I say swmbo, sends him them, kind regards
First of all, sincere apologies for being so late on this. Had to go on a business trip in a bit of a hurry and then got a bit busy... Excuses excuses!

Here are Richard's pictures:
wng171216a 005.jpg
wng171216a 004.jpg
wng171216a 003.jpg
wng171216a 002.jpg
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
RTichard Woolnough
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Thanks for putting them up Simon, someone may give me a steer in the correct direction, I will have 'em off as soon as I can get her on the ramp, and of course the spanners won't stick to my hands, kind regards
oh the all metal one is bent to buggery so I can't get a datum until I straighten it, 'til teach me to read the adverts description correctly! doh!