Machine history

terry.edmondson

Machine history

Post by terry.edmondson »

Hi all, my first post here and I think its in the correct section. I have owned my '63 Leader for well over twenty years now. I bought it as a complete basket case. The chassis no is T265468 with maching engine no. Is possible to obtain its past history at all? I only know of the previous keeper, but would like to know more. Anyone help please?
alan.richmond

Post by alan.richmond »

DVLA are required by law to be obstructive if you approach them for this kind of information. Your V5 will show the previous owner, so you could approach him, and try to climb back up the tree, Of course a previous owner may not have kept the information, may not want to be bothered, or may have passed away leaving you out on a limb ( to extend the metaphor).

Another way is to post your information, including registration number(s) and VIN (there are some security issues here) on this forum, the Arrow/Leader group, and any other Groups/Forums that a previous owner might be watching....what do ex-Leader owners do next? Is there life after a Leader? Goldwing? Bathchair?
john.nash
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by john.nash »

The AOMCC has the factory records that would at least tell you when it was made and where it went originally ....... this is done as part of the dating process, for registration.

If your vehicle is already registered, and you are an AOMCC member, then the archivist would no doubt pull the records for you if you ask him.
John Nash
AOMCC No.4119
''78 t140 bonneville, '77 BMW R80, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, '51 VH500, '49 project Ariel , '47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '42 indian 741b, '41 Ariel WNG and piles of rusty scrap ....
derekwright

Post by derekwright »

My Leader, first registered in Southampton in December 1966 could well be the last Leader registered in the UK. Has anyone got a more recent registration?
tony.cartwright

Re:

Post by tony.cartwright »

derekwright wrote:My Leader, first registered in Southampton in December 1966 could well be the last Leader registered in the UK. Has anyone got a more recent registration?
Hi Derek I was interested in you post as my Ariel Leader was registed in 1966, its has red Candy apple & Ivory paint , the chassis no /frame and engine No's are T35053/B, just wondered if what your No's are.
brenton.roy

Re:

Post by brenton.roy »

alan.richmond wrote: what do ex-Leader owners do next? Is there life after a Leader? Goldwing? Bathchair?
Hi Alan, please don't be offended, but this from a man sitting on a Noddy Bike! My dad (also Alan) had a leader for many years and it was a brilliant bike to ride, although not exactly "cool" in the 70's, failing badly with the blokes, and as a chick magnet... Luckily, there were larger, louder ariels to ride - but not necessarily better ones.
This leader was powder coated red and white, pretty tidy, with evidence of some accident damage toward the front of the spine. It went to Queensland in the mid 90's (ish). if someone in Aus. knows of it, I'd love to hear about it.
My guess is that post Leader, you would go for a boxer BM. It's about the only bike I've ridden that gives that kind of feel.
Brenton, whose first bike was a James Comet... Glad there's no photographic evidence of that.
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.
derekwright

Re: Re:

Post by derekwright »

tony.cartwright wrote:
derekwright wrote:My Leader, first registered in Southampton in December 1966 could well be the last Leader registered in the UK. Has anyone got a more recent registration?
Hi Derek I was interested in you post as my Ariel Leader was registed in 1966, its has red Candy apple & Ivory paint , the chassis no /frame and engine No's are T35053/B, just wondered if what your No's are.
Hi Tony, my frame and engine numbers are T27263B Red and ivory paint, Registration HOW86D
alan.richmond

Post by alan.richmond »

Brenton.Roy

Hi. I sold my BMW R75 last November; I had owned it for many years, but at 73 I found it was getting a bit heavy for me (well actually it hadn't put on weight, I was losing muscle!). The LE is a delight to ride, but the Leader has a bit more get-up-and-go. It's cooler, too.
Have you noticed that" Leader" starts with LE? Is that just coincidence?
And do you know the right number of bikes to own? Just one more!
Absolutely no offense taken.

Alan
Roger James
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: Machine history

Post by Roger James »

Derek,
I'm aware of a Leader bearing the registration number ERE78N that was First Registered on 10.9.74.
It wasnt a factory made machine though being built up from mainly new old stock parts in the 1970's.
A lot of the parts came from The Motorcycle Mart in Walsall who were Ariel Dealers in the day who also supplied many spares to keep my Leader on the road in the late 60's when I lived in the area.
In the late 70's I managed to secure a few boxes of bits and pieces left over from the build of this machine, from this chap I heard that the Leader had been involved in a collision and needed another frame to put it back on the road. Thats the last I heard of it although it is on the DVLA computer but shown unlicensed with a date of liability of 1.10.79 so it still could be around but not being used.
There's a photograph of this Leader on page 48 of The Classic Motorcycle March 1992 issue if you should come across a copy.

All the best

Jess