W/NG frame height

specifications, colours, contract nos, variations etc
FOR GENERAL ENGINE AND GEARBOX, USE THE FOUR STROKE TECHNICAL FORUM
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re: W/NG frame height

Post by nevhunter »

Apropos of this I measured a few frames and can't find any dimensional difference in the area where the engine fits with 2 W/NG frames and a 38 XG frame. The distance from the lower horizontal tubes to the tank mounts is the same exactly.
Checking the engine heights, the 500 OHV is 3/4 inch taller than the 350. That's not very much. I think only the tank underneath might have to be altered unless you raised it on the rubbers. Nev
wade.edwards
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by wade.edwards »

Hi Vincent,
Yes that was dumb of me to forget CH and CE engines in the XG frame. To make matters worse, I have a 1940 VG with CH cases in a XG frame. Duh :(
Vincent.vanGinneke

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

Hello Nev, that 3/4 of a inch makes that you cant get the rocker boxes of with the enigine in the frame.
Normally you can turn and cant them but with a 500 in a W/NG there is not enough room to do that.
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

Well the TWO W/NG frames I checked are identical with each other and the 39 XG frame. None have been altered . Is there any dimension you would like me to check, while they are there? . I always thought the later singles frames ( just before and after the war) would fit a VH VG VB NG NH etc engine. I've been wrong before. I know the thickness of the tube walls is thicker on the 500 OHV's but that isn't easy to check . I will go and measure a few things again. Some people think the VCH used a W/NG frame which us higher off the ground than standard and you can see the rear tubes bend down just behind the seat to identify them. The VCH Rigid is shorter only. The gearbox is adjusted through a cut out in the rear guard.Nev
adrie.degraaff
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by adrie.degraaff »

nevhunter wrote: The VCH Rigid is shorter only.
I think it has the rearwheel lugg of a 1939 OH 250 wich makes it shorter but the wheel is also lower in the frame, WNG is simmelar but it's done by shortening the bottem tubes.
john.mitchell

Post by john.mitchell »

Nev, re the VCH frame. I once rode in a trial and there was a very early VCH there ridden by Ray Pettet. The frame was exactly like my 1949 VCH. When I looked at the frame no it was XG - I didn't think to check out the side stand lug but I am sure it was basically a WNG frame.
John Mitchell
Ex Editor Cheval de Fer (1998-2021)
ian.scott

Post by ian.scott »

Of course it may have been a 'special' he built up from the best bits available, like mine ended up. I used to have a magneto driven C15 trials that he made.

Ian
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

It's often stated the VCH had a W/NG frame. I'm sceptical of this but of course many W/NG 's were used for trials work, for which they are well suited being based on the 1939 works bikes for the ISDT. The identifying features are the longer lighter front forks with small brake and front speedo drive and the rear frame tubes under the seat are bent down to give more ground clearance 8" I believe is the stated figure. They also have the fittings for the "Field" stand on the left side.
The VCH was produced initially in 1949 with the frame numbers being COM and round based electron engines of six base studs and engine numbers CO1XX. This frame has nowhere near the ground clearance of the W/NG. I have also read from what I would have considered manufacturer's sources that no spring frame bikes were produced by the factory. I know at least one circuit racing bike was available from the factory with magnesium motor and gearbox cases, and ended up with an ex employee in the special projects division, bringing it with him to Australia, in pieces.. Nev
adrie.degraaff

Post by adrie.degraaff »

There Are more than one VCH models with differend rearwheel positions.

The top has the 250 casting and is the same as ower editor John Mitchell had.
The second also a casting with more lift.
The last with a welded loop.
If the spring frame is COM than that makes 4.
Attachments
VCH1.JPG
VCH.jpg
VCH.jpg (26.01 KiB) Viewed 2575 times
1953_VCH.jpg
Last edited by adrie.degraaff on Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

There is a copy of a Company advert in Bacons' Post War Ariels of the VCH model of the time. It is identical to mine (frame #COM 167 which records show as despatched on 2 June 1950 from the factory with the current engine in it. All the pictures there Adrie show the very close position of the rear wheel to the gearbox indicating the shortest possible wheelbase is sought. Some info (Drags for example) shows a spring frame available but the COM designation is not associated with it, and I have seen statements that other than rigid were not made. (At least up to a certain time). Nev