maximum and cruising rpm's

specifications, colours, contract nos, variations etc
FOR GENERAL ENGINE AND GEARBOX, USE THE FOUR STROKE TECHNICAL FORUM
mengels

maximum and cruising rpm's

Post by mengels »

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what the maximum and cruising rpm's are for the 350cc NG engine?
Thanks,

Maarten
Paul Slootheer
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: maximum and cruising rpm's

Post by Paul Slootheer »

According to Ariel book of Waller a NG gave, with a 6:1 compression ratio, 13 BHP (9.69kw) at 5000 peak revs. The W/NG shares the same valve timing, so I think is safe to assume it did have comparable output. However as we all know it is not wise to keep a old motorcycle stessed at peak rpm for a longer period of time. My experience is that a motorcycle itself dictate's the rpm in which it want to cruise.
Regards, Paul
olle.blomqvist

Post by olle.blomqvist »

In Roy Bacon´s book, Ariel the postwar models in the specifications chapter it says
Cr 6,5:1 @5800rpm 17 bhp
Paul Slootheer

Post by Paul Slootheer »

Ole, as far as I know 17 BHP is the output of a 350 ‘Red Hunter’. The Red Hunter did have a different state of tune, that is a different camshaft (22-70-70-25 degrees), larger carburettor and polished ports etc. The (W?)/NG did have the ‘softer state of tune’. That is a different camshaft timing (5-55-60-20 degrees), therefore making lower revs and lower output of just 13 BHP. I can't find specs. from the W/NG but assume they are the same as from the NG.
Leejm
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by Leejm »

I agree with Paul. You need a larger carb for higher rpm. The wng had a small carb. And the cam timing is next to useless. It's why the ng and wng had lower output and lower rpm. I have the same book as olle, and it does say what you said. But I will say I have noticed a few things in that book at are not correct.
1948 NH, BSA D10 SPORTS. 1953 VHA, 1951 KH rigid project.