Front axle

specifications, colours, contract nos, variations etc
FOR GENERAL ENGINE AND GEARBOX, USE THE FOUR STROKE TECHNICAL FORUM
wade.edwards
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Front axle

Post by wade.edwards »

I am piecing together every nut and washer for the W/NG front wheel axle. Looks like I'm missing one nut, the brake plate lock nut (4096-29). I think it should have a turned down shoulder that fits into the center brake plate hole. Perhaps I can make one turning a (4060-39) spindle nut. Anyone have a picture or measurements for the brake plate lock nut? Thickness?

Don't know why the Draganfly catalog shows two (4049-29) bearing abutment nuts in line, when the W/NG parts books shows only one bearing abutment nut and one lock nut for the bearing abutment nut. Thinking the W/NG parts book has it right.

Also wondering why there are no(4059-27) spindle nut flat washers listed for the W/NG axle, when for Type I, girder fork 1926-46, there are two washers listed?

I find that drawings do not always show the small detail such as stepped shoulders. Pictures are best.

Thanks
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re: Front axle

Post by nevhunter »

Is your axle 1/2" dia? can you get the bearings new? Nev
wade.edwards

Post by wade.edwards »

Sure Nev, it's 1/2," as are all W/NGs. The only place I know to get the correct tapered bearings is Drags. They have an excellent stock level: £ 49.16 excl VAT, for a pair of bearings (4040-29).

Looks like no one knows why W/NG axles are not listing the two flat washers. this is not good for a rivet counter :shock:
ray.tolman
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by ray.tolman »

Hi Wade,
I looked up the W/NG workshop manual in the Document Repository/Owners Guides and the photos show only one outer nut on the brake plate side.
Measure the hole in the brake plate to see if it matches the 1/2" axle. If the hole is larger, possibly machine a step on the nut to fit the brake plate hole, effectively centering it on the axle. You may have to make up the difference in nut width with a washer so the wheel/axle mimics the original width. Or... make up a new shouldered nut.
Looks like the outer nut on my 37RH is shouldered in this manner.
See Drags picture:
http://www.draganfly.co.uk/index.php/ar ... y/778-778-
Ray
WNG front brake.jpg
will_curry

Post by will_curry »

Hello Wade,

Some images of a wheel and associated nuts:
w_ng_hub_4.JPG
The brakeplate retaining nut is on the right and is back-to-front the nut on the left being the wheel retaining nut.
w_ng_hub_3.JPG
w_ng_hub_2.JPG
w_ng_hub_1.JPG
The nut retaining the brakeplate is 5/8" long overall with a 3/32" shoulder which is 17/32" dia.

Hope this is helpful.
wade.edwards

Post by wade.edwards »

Will and Ray to the rescue :D

Thanks very much to the both of you for taking the time to post pics. Yes, I have that diagram, Ray, but of course it is shy on close up detail.

It has now taken one week to get this far as I wanted to fit the wheel last Saturday. This is so typical. Really looking forward to final fit and start up, if possible :( There is still 8 months left of 2016!

Very nice wheel and nut pics, Will. I should give up if I can't figure out something from these. I think that the reason that W/NGs don't use the two washers is because the retaining nuts appear to be thicker, thereby taking up the slack.

Do you have the rest of the bike, Will? :)
wade.edwards

Post by wade.edwards »

Just found a few pics from my deepest files.
Attachments
WNG front hub1.jpg
WNG front hub3.jpg
WNG front hub4.jpg
will_curry

Post by will_curry »

Hello Wade,

You ask if I have the rest of the bike. The answer is 'sort of''.

The wheel and forks came from my local motorcycle dealer who had bought them as 'new' surplus in the '50s.
I bought them in the mid '60s to fit on a rigid frame 500 I had. The front brake was not at all up to
stopping the 500 so I fitted an 8" brake from a Gold Star. Things were easier in those days - the engine
had a scrambles cam and followers and a scrambles piston and went like stink. The end came when
I dropped it on ice at low speed and bent the girders. The engine is now resting under the bench
along with the forks, the frame is hanging from the roof and the front brake is in the trials outfit.
We'd started doing the MCC classic trials and the bigger brake was much appreciated.
wade.edwards

Post by wade.edwards »

Good story Will. So it is a W/NG with potential or potentially a W/NG. I also have a BSA 8" hub fitted for girders. It is alloted for a 46 frame and forks picked up last year. That one will also get a BSA quick disconnect rear. Always nice to have an orphan to outfit the way you dream.