New W/NG ower, new member, Hello and help!

specifications, colours, contract nos, variations etc
FOR GENERAL ENGINE AND GEARBOX, USE THE FOUR STROKE TECHNICAL FORUM
DougJackson

New W/NG ower, new member, Hello and help!

Post by DougJackson »

Hi Everyone

First post from new forum and AOMCC member so go gentle on me. I have rebuilt and fettling modern bikes for the last twenty years but am new to the world of pre-unit war horses.

After five years of browsing I have finally bought myself a W/NG. Its a peach but I am looking for advice on the usual head scratchers.

There is a fair bit to do to get it fully up and running but initially could I ask a few questions?

The gearbox number is G7 46... so does this mean its a grease only box or should I be running Penrite grease/oil? If so do I need to drain the old grease out (if that's possible)?

What's the best form of lubrication of the primary/drive chain? Its a dry clutch so there is no oil in that side of the engine, right?

The rest I should be able to handle as I know it needs a carb rebuild and a new head gasket.

I apologies for such daft questions but the little infomation I have found online is confusing. I don't know whether I have a CP gearbox or a what, the bike being a 1944 bike but may have had a replacement box.

Thanks in advance.
Doug
admin
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: New W/NG ower, new member, Hello and help!

Post by admin »

DougJackson wrote:
The gearbox number is G7 46... so does this mean its a grease only box or should I be running Penrite grease/oil? If so do I need to drain the old grease out (if that's possible)?
Doug
It is likely to be grease, although you can fit an proper seal to the rear and run with oil
Most of use a 50/50 mix of oil and grease (i.e. mixed up together)
DougJackson wrote: What's the best form of lubrication of the primary/drive chain? Its a dry clutch so there is no oil in that side of the engine, right?
Any oil is fine.
I use old engine oil.
DougJackson wrote: The rest I should be able to handle as I know it needs a carb rebuild and a new head gasket.
I don't think there is a head gasket ?
The head is lapped to the barrel
DougJackson wrote: I apologies for such daft questions but the little infomation I have found online is confusing. I don't know whether I have a CP gearbox or a what, the bike being a 1944 bike but may have had a replacement box.
The WNG box has no take off for the speedometer, which is run off the front wheel.
DougJackson

Post by DougJackson »

Thanks for your response. I got the beast up and running today and the head is not blowing that bad so might try retorquing head. Does any one know where I can get torque setting for this bike or is it just a case ' just tight enough?

Also there is a little play now in the forks. It's Definatly the forks and not the headstock. I checked tightness if bolts and suspect bushes. Before stripping and replacing the bushes I just want to check that there should be no play as 'standard' in the girder front end?

If I decide that doing the front end bush removal is too much work for myself could anyone recommend a good workshop?
DougJackson

Post by DougJackson »

Apologies for many questions... The primary case was leaking quite badly when I returned from my first ride. Dragonfly does not have a gasket available for the wng. I suppose its either home made gasket or instant ? Any ideas?
    Steven.Carter
    Holder of a Platinum Anorak
    Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by Steven.Carter »

DougJackson wrote:
      Apologies for many questions... The primary case was leaking quite badly when I returned from my first ride. Dragonfly does not have a gasket available for the wng. I suppose its either home made gasket or instant ? Any ideas?
      My Alloy primary has a home made leather gasket, easy to make and can be reused many times.

Steve
      wade.edwards
      Holder of a Silver Anorak
      Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by wade.edwards »

Eventually I will have primary gaskets available. I have had the cover scanned so accurate gaskets can be lasered from cork rubber. Having issues with the supplier. ;)
      admin

Post by admin »

DougJackson wrote: Also there is a little play now in the forks. It's Definatly the forks and not the headstock. I checked tightness if bolts and suspect bushes. Before stripping and replacing the bushes I just want to check that there should be no play as 'standard' in the girder front end?

If I decide that doing the front end bush removal is too much work for myself could anyone recommend a good workshop?
      There are lots of bits which move on the girders.
      If you are 100% it is the bearings, then a simple tightening may do the trick.
      The links can also be tightened and also benefit from a frequent good use of their grease nipples

Other play is likely to be within the bushes which allows the forks to rock from side to side.
      There are 8 of them on the fork, 4 on each side.
      They inside the tubes and the spindles run in them - eventually they wear and need to be knocked out and replaced.

I did my bushes and it isn't that bad: http://forum.arielownersmcc.com/viewt ... f=4&t=5186
      Most of the time is taken in dismantling the forks
      DougJackson

Post by DougJackson »

Ok, that's great thanks everyone.

I'll investigate the forks and make a gasket. Promise when its up and running I'll post some pics.