The new Project

paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak

The new Project

Post by paul.jameson »

Some of you may have noticed my absence from the forum for the past 3 weeks. We have been in Florida, to package up and ship the next project back to the UK. It is one of the dozen Healey 1000/4 machines built in the 1970s using MKII Square Four engines and gearboxes. This one was burnt out on the back of a pick up truck many years ago so it will be a long difficult job to do.

The photo gives an idea of what greeted me when I opened the shed door in Tampa.

Paul
Attachments
IMG_7578.jpg
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
Ian.Taylor
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: The new Project

Post by Ian.Taylor »

WOW and I thought my 31 VF was tough.You do indeed have a challenge ahead of you
simon.holyfield
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by simon.holyfield »

You like a challenge don't you Paul!

So what have you bought? I see the engine & gearbox, but what else is there?
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
Steven.Carter

Post by Steven.Carter »

Strewth, that'll be a tough one. Who said Square fours don't overheat :D

Good luck

Steve
paul.jameson

Post by paul.jameson »

You can't beat a good challenge, but I do have somewhat easier projects to go at if I get fed up with this one. The best way to describe what I have bought is all the engine/ gearbox / primary/ etc plus all the special Healey bits which didn't melt in the fire. So, alloy rims, hubs and fork sliders melted which means I need replacements. The petrol tank is alloy so that melted as well but if you look carefully at the gearbox adjuster and on the top of the half melted exhaust you can see some of the melted petrol tank remains. Obviously, the fibreglass seat base and side panels burned but I have moulds to make replacements. When I sold my previous Healey I had this project in mind so I took a huge number of photos with many measurements to match before that bike went. Over the years I have had many conversations with fellow Herefordshire resident Tim Healey who has given much guidance on quite what they used on the bikes. The centre stand is early BSA Rocket 3 for instance and the handlebar switches BMW. So a lot of bits are easily available but I will need to have a few items cast if I can't machine them up out of solid. Just don't expect an early completion date.
Paul Jameson
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
tony.barnett

Post by tony.barnett »

I think you should be awarded a Solid Gold Anorak for taking that on. Good man!!

(Oddly enough we were in your neighbourhood on Saturday last)
KOBI
Swindon Branch Secretary
Ariels - 1913 TT Model, 20 Roadster, 28 Model D, 30 Model B, 38 VH, 52 VH
Velocette MAC, KSS Mk1
Vincent.vanGinneke

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

RESPECT !
Leejm

Post by Leejm »

I thought mine was rough when I purchased it. Yours wins hands down. Best of luck with it Paul.
1948 NH, BSA D10 SPORTS. 1953 VHA, 1951 KH rigid project.
paul.jameson

Post by paul.jameson »

In response to Keith Berry's request for an update, here is the progress report on the Healey project. You could be forgiven for thinking nothing had changed since I unloaded the bits from Florida back in May. In fact lots has happened but little has so far become visible. I have sourced the vast majority of the missing parts, wrecked when the alloy melted in the fire. So I have wheels, forks, seat base, all instruments, all switches, all lights, handlebar levers, parts to make the instrument panel, horn and two brake arms for the rear hub, neither of which goes anywhere near fitting ! The frame is away for repair and I have tracked down someone to make me a new petrol tank. This is the son of the original manufacturer and he still has a pattern to work from. I have also located a supplier of rear suspension units which are the correct size and finish. I have another timing cover with a hole in it but as the two covers have holes in different places I should be able to make one out of the two.
I have now just about dealt with the backlog of work on Madam's car (1927 Standard 14/28 HP) so shortly I will be starting the dummy assembly of the Healey and making the first new bits. Then it will be dismantle everything, pay a small fortune to the chrome platers to replate everything, pay a small fortune for bits to refurbish the engine and gearbox, paint the new tank and side panels then assemble it all.
Completion remains some years away.
Paul Jameson
Phil B
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Phil B »

As if you haven't enough on your plate, you've got newbies like me bothering you for advice on the phone!!

Much respect Paul, I'm glad you told me the story behind this bike. That's A LOT of work.

And a humble thanks for the help on my bike.
NON SUFFICIT ORBIS

1939 NH