Tyre recommendation for VH500

Singles, twins and fours.
Mickypic

Tyre recommendation for VH500

Post by Mickypic »

Can anyone recommend some new tyres to fit my 1949 VH500. Fitted with some old looking Avon square shape tyres at moment which look like they should be on a sidecar outfit.
Front is 300x20
Rear is 3.50 x19
What is the correct size ? And which tyre is recommended so bike will roll round corners instead of falling into it.
Cheers Michael
Leejm
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Tyre recommendation for VH500

Post by Leejm »

300x20 front is right. The rear was 3.25 x 19 originally but that size is no longer available. I have a 300 x 20 speedmaster on the front and Avon 350 x 19 SM on the rear of mine. Alot of people like modern tryes but I more like vintage looking tryes. But with the front trye being 20 inch you are some what restricted with trye choice. Your only option is Avon speedmaster. But the rear you have more choice with it. But the speedmaster and safety mileage rear are designed to work together. So if I was you I would just used the same as I have.
1948 NH, BSA D10 SPORTS. 1953 VHA, 1951 KH rigid project.
Mickypic

Post by Mickypic »

Do the avons have a round profile? The tyres I have say Avon SM on them but look more like a car tyre profile with straight sides and flat tread on top .
ian.scott
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by ian.scott »

C Wyldes sell a Mitas 300 x 20 block pattern. I used one for a while but found the Avon felt nicer.

Ian
Leejm

Post by Leejm »

The SM is a square trye but the speedmaster is rounded. The SM is a rear tyre only. You should not be using one on the front!! It sounds like that is the problem you are having. Put a speedmaster on the front and you should see a benefit in the handling.
simon.holyfield
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by simon.holyfield »

Leejm wrote:The SM is a square trye but the speedmaster is rounded. The SM is a rear tyre only. You should not be using one on the front!! It sounds like that is the problem you are having. Put a speedmaster on the front and you should see a benefit in the handling.
I have this combination on my SQ4. The modern SM seems to less 'square' than the one I bought 30 years ago for a lightweight Matchless, and they are both made from a much softer compound.

I'm happy with my choice, but I would like to see how the bike would handle on a modern tyre.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
Leejm

Post by Leejm »

The new compounds the tyres are made from is much better than they used to be made from. The tryes stick to the road better for it.
Mickypic

Post by Mickypic »

Anyone tried a Dunlop k70 on rear with speedmaster on front.? The k70 looks to have a rounder profile than the Avon
ian.scott

Post by ian.scott »

Surely most tyres now are made with modern compounds and it only the carcass construction and tread pattern that is different ? Certainly it seems that modern tyre life is much less that it used to be , or is the tread depth much less to start with ?

Ian
Leejm

Post by Leejm »

Of course, Simon said the Avons he brought 30 years ago are not the Same as the ones he just brought!!