Letter to Dvla

Post EBAY or other information of "potentially" dodgy logbooks/registrations
Dave.Thomas
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Letter to Dvla

Post by Dave.Thomas »

I sent an email to Dvla regarding this subject, here's their reply;

Whilst I appreciate your concerns and thank you for bringing matters such as these to our attention, I am afraid that the DVLA cannot govern what is advertised for sale on the Internet or via other media sources.

DVLA does write to all reported Internet sites informing them of the unlawful sale of tax discs or VIN plates and V5C Registration Certificates. However, we can only make a note of the transaction on the vehicle record when a customer informs us of the misconduct and states the vehicle registration number concerned. I can assure you that DVLA will continue to do everything it can to prevent the illegal trading of government documents on the Internet, however, DVLA continues to be restricted to the amount of action it can take.

In cases where the vehicle registration number is provided, DVLA can place a marker to automatically block any transaction from taking place. This would mean that cases could be thoroughly investigated to prevent any illegal activities from taking place.
-----------------------
I looked through that guys sales history, and a 58 Bonneville V5 went for about £350, and there's quite a few that also made 3 figures, looks to be quite an earner for him
paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Letter to Dvla

Post by paul.jameson »

It is probably worth pointing out that DVLA receive a copy of Cheval de Fer each month. Whether or not they read it is anyone's guess.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
alan.moore

Post by alan.moore »

DVLA have been sending out that exact email since at least 2007 when people question the sale of registration documents online. If they do actually put a marker against the registered numbers I suppose it may help. However, DVLA do not have any personnel who go out and do examinations or undertake enquiries to make sure the bike / car etc is actually the one to which a logbook relates. The agreement with DVLA is that the relevant owners club, VMCC or other registered vintage/classic vehicle body carries out the checks to make sure no one is trying to pull a fast one.

If the AOMCC thinks it is OK then I am happy to send DVLA an email each month setting out the Ariel logbooks offered for sale.

Cheers
Alan
1939 VH Redhunter;1942 RN WNG;1951 Triumph 6T Thunderbird;1970 BSA B175 Bantam;1986 Yamaha SRX600 single;1952 VHA engined project
http://cloggymoore.wix.com/triumph-pre-unit-6t
martkey

Post by martkey »

As a Police Vehicle Examiner, I give details of any sales of registration documents, VIN plates etc to DVLA to freeze the vehicles record until a satisfactory examination of the vehicle is completed. If there is no vehicle to examine, then I 'void' that reg number.
alan.moore

Post by alan.moore »

martkey wrote:As a Police Vehicle Examiner, I give details of any sales of registration documents, VIN plates etc to DVLA to freeze the vehicles record until a satisfactory examination of the vehicle is completed. If there is no vehicle to examine, then I 'void' that reg number.
Martkey
I did not receive any feedback from AOMCC forum members regarding reporting the registration documents I have listed to DVLA on behalf of the club. If you are in a position to 'officially' relay the registration documents I have been listing to DVLA then maybe that would be appropriate?

The only issue I can see in 'voiding' the reg number if there is "no vehicle to examine" is that the vehicle may in fact still exist, maybe hidden in the legendary barn or shed, and the old log book somehow got separated in the mists of time. In these instances it may be some years before the 'legal owner' of the original vehicle applies to DVLA to retain the original reg number. If the reg number has been 'voided' that may cause some issues. Therefore it may sufficient that a marker is placed on DVLA records, this should mean that if someone subsequently applies for the reg number a 'Qualified' police vehicle examiner' would be requested to examine the vehicle in the first instance.

On a personal level, as a retired Police officer (mechanical and auto-crime examiner for my last 26 years) I still have an interest in trying to make sure the thieving lowlifes and fraudsters, who use vehicle documentation to sell stolen vehicles, or 'bitsa' vehicles purporting to be originals, to innocent buyers are identified and prosecuted.

Regards
Alan
1939 VH Redhunter;1942 RN WNG;1951 Triumph 6T Thunderbird;1970 BSA B175 Bantam;1986 Yamaha SRX600 single;1952 VHA engined project
http://cloggymoore.wix.com/triumph-pre-unit-6t
martkey

Post by martkey »

Alan,
I've sent you a PM