LH Colt restoration

Paul_Linden
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: LH Colt restoration

Post by Paul_Linden »

One wheel on my wagon

So with the back end looking wheely good :lol: my attention moved to the front wheel and forks. Here is a picture of the ring of rust that was the front wheel. As with the back wheel the spokes were completely shot and the rim was possibly technically repairable, but economically probably not. Would be like trying to repair a light bulb - it can be done but it's cheaper to buy a new one. The inside of the hub was in a sorry state too, it must have been that when the bike was left standing the wheel leaned to the left and water collected inside the brake drum.
19.JPG
I took the hub to a bike engineers in East Devon called Dave Massam, and I'm happy to sing his praises (I'll buy shares in his business if he ever floats on the stock market!). He took the hub in on a "I'll see what I can do in the way of skimming but I'm making no promises" arrangement and a week later I had a great hub for less than the price of a round. Here it is cleaned up and nearly ready to have the bearing cups and cones changed before painting.
20.JPG
The front wheel cups, cones and bearings were completely shot, as in even one of the ball bearings was broken into pieces - no wonder the front wheel crunched and locked when the bike was wheeled into the garage. :o I like that this is just like the set up on a push bike, and wasn't tempted to change it to roller bearings. Maybe I'll do that at the next rebuild in 20 years.
21.JPG
Square 4 mk1, Square 4 mk2, BSA C12.
Paul_Linden

Post by Paul_Linden »

While the front wheel is away being rebuilt I started cleaning the front forks. A cupful of black tar sludged out of the fork legs when I took them apart, and it seemed to take days to clean and sand them to get them to the state shown below.
22.JPG
Went to the Shepton Mallet Auto jumble on the 8th October and picked up handlebars, a 5 and 3/4" headlamp rim, some nuts and bolts and a rear number plate. The number plate is an exact copy of the one that is on the bike, but I'm not sure if it is factory standard. All the other Colts I have seen have an enclosed rear number plate bracket, but this is open (you can see through it when looking from the side). Is this another clue about something that happened to the back end of the bike? The rear mudguard is now loosely bolted, and it's a good fit, so I put the number plate bracket on just to see how its all coming along. At the auto jumble I tried getting hold of a kick start shaft for the Burman gearbox, but with no success. Does anyone out there in AOMCC land have a kick start shaft for a '54 Colt?
23.JPG
john.nash
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by john.nash »

Paul_Linden wrote: Does anyone out there in AOMCC land have a kick start shaft for a '54 Colt?
Did you speak to Lester, guardian of the gearbox spares ?
John Nash
AOMCC No.4119
''78 t140 bonneville, '77 BMW R80, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, '51 VH500, '49 project Ariel , '47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '42 indian 741b, '41 Ariel WNG and piles of rusty scrap ....
Paul_Linden

Post by Paul_Linden »

Indeed I spoke to Lester, but there is no kickstart shaft in his box of bits. Hey ho, will keep looking.
Paul_Linden

Post by Paul_Linden »

A bit of luck on Ebay last week - NOS wiring loom for a Colt. I had been planning to remake the loom. Not a difficult job, especially as I have the remains of the old loom and a wiring diagram (in fact I had already priced up availability and cost from an online supplier). The very good news is that the loom comes with a new headlamp switch. The old headlamp switch on the bike has rusted solid, so I wasn't sure how to fix it - won't need to now! :D
24.jpg
It's Sunday 30 October today, so here is a message to used car dealers: "the clocks go back today". :lol:
john.nash

Post by john.nash »

Paul_Linden wrote:Indeed I spoke to Lester, but there is no kickstart shaft in his box of bits. Hey ho, will keep looking.
http://www.johnbudgenmotorcycles.co.uk/
John Nash
AOMCC No.4119
''78 t140 bonneville, '77 BMW R80, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, '51 VH500, '49 project Ariel , '47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '42 indian 741b, '41 Ariel WNG and piles of rusty scrap ....
Paul_Linden

Post by Paul_Linden »

Thanks John, I've dropped him an email.
Fingers crossed!
Paul_Linden

Post by Paul_Linden »

May the forks be with you is what Luke Skywalker would say if he rode an Ariel. But he doesn't.
Spent the weekend painting and fettling the front forks. It seems like 99% of a restoration is spent cleaning, sanding, polishing, filling, painting, fettling and test assembling. Then the 1% at the end is actually putting the darn thing together. Here is a picture of the front forks prepared for assembly, new bushes all round which meant several assemblies and dis-assemblies to get them to the stage of smooth sliding movement with no binding.
25.JPG
And here are the forks and yolks on the bike. New head races and bearings will ensure smooth steering, and I was very careful not to over tighten them. One small irritation was the bag of bearings bought from Dog'n'flea motorcycles was one ball short. Luckily I had some spare, but it's a lesson to check you have all your ingredients before you start cooking, so to speak.
26.JPG
Front wheel comes back next week, so I should have a rolling chassis then. This blog is now up to date with where I am in the restoration (the pages here cover the last 16 months work) with the next step being the engine rebuild, so my posts may be less regular, or as some other Hollywood character said, "I'll be back!" :D
Paul_Linden

Post by Paul_Linden »

27.JPG
Front wheel is on. The offset on the rebuilt wheel is 9mm - the same as the old wheel, but strangely it does not sit centrally between the forks. An offset of 15mm would make the wheel central. However, Colts use the same front end as a BSA C11G (the Colt was built after BSA had bought Ariel) and consulting a BSA forum indicates the offset should be 20mm! I'll make the wheel central to the forks and inline with the back wheel. I couldn't resist placing the seat on the frame - just to get a better idea of how it's all coming together.
28.JPG
Started looking at the engine. Plenty of evidence of the "one careful owner, but many careless owners" syndrome. Without even opening the engine I can see the following horrors:
rocker cover cracked
sump plate stud missing
oil hoses split
all cheesehead screws rounded off
some crankcase bolts missing (the ones under the plates)
I wonder what further horrors await inside when I crack open the cases? All I know for certain is that it turns over all right.
Paul_Linden

Post by Paul_Linden »

....and then I stopped looking at the engine. Over the Christmas break I thought I'd get stuck in to something a bit smaller and more manageable. So I started on the gearbox. I used to fret about taking gearboxes apart - you know the sort of thing - as you split the case a couple of springs and gears burst out and you don't know how to get it back together again. Then I learned to look at gearboxes in detail, and when you know what each part does and the relation to the other parts they are actually elegant and simple. None more so than the GB30 fitted to the Colt which is a lovely, compact 4 speed box. I gave the box a good scrub before taking apart and had a camera ready to catch the action. Even before taking it apart I knew there were problems, as the kick start shaft splines were stripped (still haven't found a replacement, but more of that later) and 2nd gear was difficult to find.
The picture here is after I split the cases and shows all the gears, on both shafts in their working positions. Fourth gear is selected, where the mainshaft drives the 2nd mainshaft gear (top row, second from left with the selector fork on it) which is engaged with the output gear. The mainshaft effectively drives the output gear directly, so the ratio is 1:1.
IMG_1581.JPG
Here is the view from the back, where it is clear to see that the 2nd mainshaft gear is pushed in to the sleeve gear so that the dogs from the former engage with the holes in the latter. Remember that the sleeve gear is free to rotate on the mainshaft, and it is the 2nd mainshaft gear that is driven by splines on the mainshaft. The picture below also shows well the poor state of the kickstart shaft.
IMG_1582.JPG
For future reference I photographed all the other gear selections, and then just for the fun of it worked out the reduction ratios from the number of teeth on the gears. I salute the designer of this gearbox, it would be difficult to improve - maybe just a stronger kick start shaft! So here we are getting down to basics - the gear cluster out of the box with the forks taken off.
IMG_1593.JPG
Next pic below is the gears taken off the layshaft (bottom) and mainshaft (top) with their offside faces uppermost. I don't know if it is clear to see on the photo but the bronze bush on the 2nd layshaft gear has collapsed (bottom row of gears, second from left). An interesting note on how the gearbox is designed: on both shafts the gears are alternately splined or bushed (free to spin on the shaft) and pairs of gears on the adjacent shafts are paired as splined and bushed.
IMG_1598.JPG
Now assembling the kickstart ratchet - this is a good time to point out how the problem of the stripped kickstart shaft was fixed. The stripped KS shaft has an outside diameter of 5/8", or about 18mm. I bought a kickstart to fit a 16mm splined shaft (its from a pit bike) and dremelled the shaft until the new kickstart fitted. Time will be the test of this adaptation.
IMG_1600.JPG