FOR SALE : 1937 VH

Dave.Barkshire
Holder of a Silver Anorak

FOR SALE : 1937 VH

Post by Dave.Barkshire »

Looks very nice.

Doesn't have the PA speedo, wrong handlebar levers, saddle looks a bit wrong, toolbox is the earlier 1936 type but who cares... what a beauty!

http://ventureclassics.com/stock%20list.htm
ian.scott

Re: FOR SALE : 1937 VH

Post by ian.scott »

It looks really nice,what a shame it is unridden since restoration , set to be a parade pussy I feel.
adrie.degraaff
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by adrie.degraaff »

The petroltank could be India but if the numbers are good VH it's cheap.
Vincent.vanGinneke
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

Looks good, a lot of work went into making it like this.
Good to see that an effort was made to get the fasteners correct.
Carb bellmouth on it and it is finished.
ray.tolman
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by ray.tolman »

Nitpick list for Anoraks...
This would be a great bike as is. Many difficult to find parts are there but here are a few oddities... (I stand to be corrected on any of these. Many of these are very small items)

LH finned exhaust clamp incorrect, fishtails seem to be angled up a bit high at end (P clamps and muffler L mounts may be inverted), 6055-35 both missing, later 289 carb instead of 89, air horn on carb missing, domed nuts on gearbox didn't come out until 1938 as I recall, Ariel red tank badges should be black/white ARIEL/red shadow, rear fender badge should be black/white ARIEL/white shadow, petrol line incorrect, oil pipe to oil gauge oddly routed next to 140-36 , 10 missing 4319-29s, saddle springs seem long, fastening clip on headlamp rim missing, 5050-32 missing, headlamp lower stays are likely repro as there is no kink towards bottom of stay, generator should be 3 brush, if using the later generator there should be a regulator present, air pump missing, Smiths clock should be Smiths M3 Cricklewood 8 day (cannot see any markings on face but hands appear correct so "may" be the more common car one as knurled time set knob at front of instrument panel is missing), oil gauge has wrong needle so possible repro, wingnut on rear brake rod appears unusual (dimples in wings) and spring on brake rod before rear brake arm missing or very short, battery platform likely has wrong clamp bolt, AMAL twist grip chrome casting is much later style, four screws appear to be substituted for the four 859B-34, choke lever does not have "AIR" stamped on is so likely incorrect, choke cable appears present but does not appear to enter carb top, high tension pickup lead should be on rear wheel side of magdyno, 6140-33, 6141-33, 6142-33 appear to be missing, quite a few dome nuts used where regular nuts should be ie: rear brake pedal spindle, 864-35 both missing, check MT110 for original, check to see if magdyno fiber gear cover is original pattern (quite rare as fitted for only a few years), rear brake plate from later year, no lettering on oil tank cover, no "oil Level" lettering on oil tank, breather pipe missing on correct 45 degree breather, appears like the screw on fitting for PA speedo is sitting at base of speedometer cable where it enters the transmission, altette appears to be from late 1940s, grease fitting on kickstart shaft missing, dip switch likely incorrect (switch and mounting look to be car panel mount style), 2316-31 appears missing, angle of fuel balance pipe fittings on LH side odd so Adrie's thought of Indian petrol tank possible, lower chain guard missing, incorrect ammeter, 5153-33 missing, front/rear fender lip not upturned as per original.
Mentioned by Dave: later style tool box having no center knob, clutch/front brake levers, saddle, PA speedometer missing (100 MPH)

Engine number with prefix CB correct for 1936
Frame number with prefix F "should" be visible on frame lug behind upper oil tank large hex nut. It isn't, but may be filled with paint.
Last edited by ray.tolman on Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:21 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Steven.Carter

Post by Steven.Carter »

Wow Ray that's very impressive, you wouldn't be Adrie's long lost cousin :D
malcolm.johnson

Post by malcolm.johnson »

WOW AGAIN! I wouldn`t dare post a picture of my alleged 1947 alleged 4G, unless I had a large whiskey ready. :shock:
Vincent.vanGinneke

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

Give this man a free Anorak !
paul.jameson

Post by paul.jameson »

Saddle is definitely wrong (repro?), ammeter is a repro, as is the headlight. The whole assembly is one of the excellent Czech repro items but I seem to remember the 1936 machines should have a vertically fluted headlamp glass, the same as the 1937 models. The tank panel should be painted as chrome panels are 1938 onwards. The top painted area of the tank should follow the lines of the tank panel round at the front rather than going forward to the headstock area. I find the fact that the rims on the brake plates are polished all over particularly offensive (but it is a pet hate of mine). Only the raised area should be chrome (or polished stainless). The flat bit on the face of the brakeplate SHOULD BE PAINTED BLACK. Please note. Rant over.

Otherwise I think Ray has covered most of the points..........
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
paul.jameson

Post by paul.jameson »

Damn.

Forgot the incorrect routing of the front brake rod and the fact it should be black, not chrome. So should the toolbox brackets.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.