Mk 1 spark plugs

Anything about Ariels
richard.feltham

Mk 1 spark plugs

Post by richard.feltham »

Can anybody suggest what the appropriate modern spark plug version for a 1949 Mk I might be?
Cheers
Richard
ben.mitchell

Re: Mk 1 spark plugs

Post by ben.mitchell »

Richard
My wife has a 1949 MkI but although she would not know what sort of spark plugs she uses, fortunately I would or at least should know! Having said that, I am not positive about the number but I think it is Champion L86, they are readily available and in fact I buy them by the box of about a dozen and generally give her new ones each year....I have been known to even fit them for her on occasion. If you are anywhere near Reading/Newbury/Oxford then I may be able to help you out.
Best Wishes
Ben
ben.mitchell

Re: Mk 1 spark plugs

Post by ben.mitchell »

Richard
I have just noticed that you are in NZ so assume that you will not be dropping in to sunny Berkshire to collect any MkI spark plugs, but it may help to know that Paul 'Grubby' Wiggans in Aukland (Pukekohe perhaps) is currently restoring a MKI so may be able to help with advice. His email is paul.wpk@xtra.co.nz
Ben
richard.feltham

Post by richard.feltham »

Thanks Ben. In fact I know Paul. Small world, as they say. I didn't think I had a hope in hell of finding someone in NZ who had the faintest idea of what a square 4 was so I was delighted to meet him through a rather strange set of circumstances. I had put an ad in the local paper for Ariel parts, and after following a trail of a friend of a friend of a friend over a 3 month period I met up with a bloke on the other side of the country, who when I went to see him, floored me by opening the conversation with: "Do you know our daughters flat together at University?" Anyway, he has a Mk 1 that Paul was also attending to and he put me on to him. Love the idea of giving your wife spark plugs as a present. Cheers, Richard