New member and new bike HS réplica

Eus_Daniel

New member and new bike HS réplica

Post by Eus_Daniel »

I am the son of an previous Ariel member from Portugal (Francisco Eustáquio). Me and my father have 2 Ariel VH from 55/56 , a 56NH and lots of spares from 40's models and 50's singles. I always liked Ariel motorcycles and since very young age been riding one. I am a grate fan of vintage motocross and trial bikes and recently my grate father has gave me a VH with no registration and a spare engine for me to make a HS or HT replica to use and abuse in our nearby dirt roads and prove to my friend's that British classic bikes are no old, they are classics!!
Sinse i have no funds to buy a HT frame I will be making a HS réplica with a colt gas tank and aluminium mud guards. The shocks in the rear will be the betor with pre65 specs and i wantvto use the standard fronteira forma but still have not foud a mx spring supplier. At this point the engine is 80% restored and will be starting to restore the frame and forks.
My father have told me that the Ariel Owners Motorcycle club was a very active club and with lots of information to share with the members.
Soon i will post some fotos

Thanks for all and sorry for my poor English.
Cheers from Portugal
Daniel Eustáquio
alan.moore
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: New member and new bike HS réplica

Post by alan.moore »

Daniel
A very warm welcome to the forum. Your English is excellent :D . I am sure that forum members will be able to answer most of your questions. Post some photo's for us

Cheers
Alan
1939 VH Redhunter;1942 RN WNG;1951 Triumph 6T Thunderbird;1970 BSA B175 Bantam;1986 Yamaha SRX600 single;1952 VHA engined project
http://cloggymoore.wix.com/triumph-pre-unit-6t
adrie.degraaff

Post by adrie.degraaff »

Hello Daniel,
i can not help you to a HT frame but i am in your country 2 times a year with the campervan so can give you info if you want to.
If you know how to PM we can have mail contact.
Regards Adrie.
Eus_Daniel

Post by Eus_Daniel »

Hi, thanks for the replies.

This the picture that started all...

I want to make a replica of the bike in this picture witch i believe captures the essence of the classic motocross bikes and my choice had to be a Ariel!
At the present time cant find a exhaust, front forks springs for off road use and the gas tank (in this case for now ill use a colt tank) to sell used or new.
The engine will be stock to be reliable and climb a hill and take back home (i have a spare engine to make a short stroke and hopefully make or buy a ht frame) i want to surprise the jap bike guys with this little baby!!
Can any one tell me looking at this pic if the 2 wheels are 19''? I believe the betor ones are much higher than this ones so the rear wheel probably will have to be 18''m or 17''

Should the frame be reinforced at any point? It looks pretty strong for the job.

Cheers from Portugal
adrie.degraaff

Post by adrie.degraaff »

I think this is also a replica, exept for the petroltank.
Eus_Daniel

Post by Eus_Daniel »

Yes I belive it's a replica, the back end of the frame is not original as a see in the old books I have here but to put in the dirt probably i't wont be that bat. My frame has been chopped some time in is life which makes it a perfect candidate to make something like this.
I have been collecting parts for several years to make one.
Eus_Daniel

Post by Eus_Daniel »

Hi,
the work on my HS 500 replica continues...I have all the parts cleaned up and are at this point at aluminium cleaning company to receive cosmetic treatment to look brand new again. Flywheel check, alpha bearing new, main bearings new, piston and ring new, new sleeve and new valve guides ;) The spring are in acceptable tolerance so will have to do. Looking for a complete gasket set, to start the assemble the engine and then ill start working on the frame.
I need to sort thing on the frame once the has been modified some time in his life and I have to decide if ill try and put it back to standard condition or make small changes to it. Ill have pics of it soon on the forum so I can ask for help/opinions.
I want to use the original rear shocks and forks but cant find any information regarding mods or springs. The rear shocks from Betor are too cheap to look the other way, any one have ideas?

Cheers from Portugal
adrie.degraaff

Post by adrie.degraaff »

Do you know that a replica HT frame made by Adrian? is only 400? pounds, he is also making shortstroke barrels.
Eus_Daniel

Post by Eus_Daniel »

Hi Adrie,

I didn’t know. Do you have a web address or an email? I would love to have a aluminium cylinder.
Can you make a short stroke engine white the VH flywheel and con rod, changing only the cylinder and piston?

Cheers from Portugal
johnmain

Post by johnmain »

adrie.degraaff wrote:Do you know that a replica HT frame made by Adrian? is only 400? pounds, he is also making shortstroke barrels.
Is this you?