New member and new bike HS réplica

john.mitchell
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: New member and new bike HS réplica

Post by john.mitchell »

John Bartram is still making HT frames and much else - maybe alloy barrels. He knows as much as anyone in our club about the mid 50's Ariel off road bikes.
His email is engtecuk@aol.com
John Mitchell
Ex Editor Cheval de Fer (1998-2021)
Eus_Daniel

Post by Eus_Daniel »

Hi,

I have contacted John Bartram regarding the Aloy cylinder's but since I don’t have in my spares any 350 flywheel to make a short stroke, I have decided to leave that buy for another time. I did not see in his part's list any HT frame and dont know his prices but the ones I have been seeing costs around 1100£
Vincent.vanGinneke
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

Hello Daniel,

For shocks you can use the Hagon 'Big Shroud' model.
They look almost identical to Armstrong shocks.
I transplanted the top shrouds from my original Armstrongs to the new Hagons.
You only have to make a set of new top collars to bridge the gap from Armstrong top covers to Hagon top eye.
Or, if you dont have Armstrong top covers you do not need to do anything! just fit new Hagon's

From a article I did some years ago for The Cheval on changing a standard frame to HS spec :

Any standard Ariel swingarmframe can be made into a HS frame.
There are only six points where it is different.
Four of these are where parts have been cut of by the factory from a otherwise standard type frame.

# 1 Just below the headstock the complete sidecar mounting is cut off.
-To make matters confusing; some HS’s where ordered suitable for sidecar scrambling, so it is possible that you see a HS frame with sidecar lugs on it.

# 2 The two rear fixing points for the standard roadster petroltank are cut off.

# 3 Only one passenger footrest mounting is fitted, the one on the righthand side.
It is used for attaching the exhaust pipe on a MkI or the silencer on a MkIII.

# 4 Both the sidecar mounting points (left & right) below the swingarmspindle are not fitted during production of the frame. This means that it is visible if the sidecar points where there before! If you see welding all around the rear spindle boss, instead of ¾ around, it’s a roadster frame.

# 5 A mushroom shaped boss on the upper framerail ¾ down from the steering head is added.
It’s the third fixing point for the (smaller than standard) competition tank.

# 6 To make the fraud complete you need to change the framenumber.......
HazelBrooks

Post by HazelBrooks »

adrie.degraaff wrote:Do you know that a replica HT frame made by Adrian? is only 400? pounds, he is also making shortstroke barrels.
Is there any chance of getting in touch with Adrian? I`m looking to get a replica frame myself. Thanks, Hazel.