Magneto timing light

Bikes or not. Whatever
les.brooks

Magneto timing light

Post by les.brooks »

Does anyone have a circuit diagram for a diy magneto timing light?
alan.moore
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Magneto timing light

Post by alan.moore »

Les

Here is a link to a site which has a circuit diagram

http://www.gasenginemagazine.com/gas-en ... timer.aspx

I was going to knock one up but struggled to find the correct type of transformer. Instead I got a cheap £2 3 volt buzzer from ebay and wired it in series to an AA battery and two leads with crocodile clips to connect to the points and mag body. When the points are closed the buzzer sounds, when they open there is still a circuit through the magneto primary winding but the increase in resistance causes the tone of the buzzer to change. Once you have heard the tone change a few times you can very accurately determine when the points open. I find it better than having to watch a lamp as you can concentrate on the mag

These guys do a ready made timing light http://www.themagnetoguys.co.uk/Static_Timing_Light.php

Update: Just found this PDF which shows how to make one...
MAGNETO TIMING TOOL.pdf
(684.23 KiB) Downloaded 657 times
Cheers
Alan
1939 VH Redhunter;1942 RN WNG;1951 Triumph 6T Thunderbird;1970 BSA B175 Bantam;1986 Yamaha SRX600 single;1952 VHA engined project
http://cloggymoore.wix.com/triumph-pre-unit-6t
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

You would be better to use a cigarette paper or a thin shim, and use the point where you can just withdraw it. Putting power through the primary can knock the magnetism around. I know there is a light in the circuit, but accidents can happen and the full 12 volts will alter the works. (Ask me how I know). IF you can remove the centre screw and the rotating mechanism stays in the taper you are safe with the light and battery. Nev
Dave.Barkshire
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by Dave.Barkshire »

I need one of these.

Will Rizla go out of business?
alan.moore

Post by alan.moore »

I think the buzzer and single 1.5 volt battery is a pretty safe bet. I have tried isolating the center screw, and also using a nylon screw whilst setting the timing, but the points mechanism always seemed to move a bit when I put the metal screw back in and that altered the timing. The 'shop bought' boxes should be safe to use.

Here is a video of my Buzz Box working (turn your sound up). You should be hear the tone change which occurs at the instant the points seperate.

1939 VH Redhunter;1942 RN WNG;1951 Triumph 6T Thunderbird;1970 BSA B175 Bantam;1986 Yamaha SRX600 single;1952 VHA engined project
http://cloggymoore.wix.com/triumph-pre-unit-6t
fpassmore
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by fpassmore »

I bought an induction magneto timing box from an aircraft tool supply house in the USA called Action Air, $42 USD and made for purpose with light and buzzer. Nice tool for the workshop.

Frank
'51 SQ4, '56 NH, '56 VH, '37 VH500 Red Hunter, '56 SQ4 (basket case), '49 Sq4 (basket case), '48 A7 BSA Twin, 12 other BSA's, 9 Norton's, 2 Triumph's, 3 Ducati's and 3 Japanese. Just crazed is all my problem is.
Wali.Badger.Taylor

Post by Wali.Badger.Taylor »

I think Rizla is more precise.
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

The flat face cam magneto is very sensitive to end float variation of timing. Ensure bearings are adjusted accurately. Backlash in gear driven magneto engines needs to be allowed for. (Load against drive direction) Nev
les.brooks

Post by les.brooks »

Thanks for the replies, I will have a go at the simple buzzer method though my level of frustration at having a non starting basket case has diminished as I finally got it going yesterday, so the feeler gauge method has worked for me. Incidentally the difference between starting and running and coughing and spluttering turned out to be a partially blocked pilot jet, did not enjoy drilling out the blanking plug to get at it, but it worked.