Modern reg inside MCR2 box??

General electrical problems
chris.shearwood
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: Modern reg inside MCR2 box??

Post by chris.shearwood »

I had a Podtronics regulator installed like the one pictured in a previous post. It failed during a hot day after a total of less than 900 miles on my Sq4. Thinking about it led me to some conclusions:

1. There is a reason designers of electronic regulators put cooling fins on them. Excessive heat can ruin them.

2. If one wanted to over-heat a regulator one could:
a) Mount it on a piece of insulating fibre material. This would reduce conduction of heat away from the device.
b) Enclose it totally in a small area to prevent exposure to cooling air flow.
c) Place it in proximity to one of the hottest running motorcycle engines in existence.

I replaced the Podtronics with a VREG-2a and to help its chances of survival I cut away and discarded the middle part of the insulating fibre "floor" of the old Lucas regulator base. I also drilled some holes in the front of the cover of a cheap, useless, Asian-made copy of a Lucas regulator. Once the cover is in place the holes are practically invisible but the original cover can, of course, be easily put back if required.

No problems so far after 300 miles. I don't know why the Podtronics one failed and it could very well be that my modifications are unnecessary. I have no idea of the temperature limits of an electronic regulator or if those limits could be exceeded on my Sq4. I have a Podtronics regulator on my VH mounted without the cooling modifications and it is still working correctly after about 1,900 miles.

Just sayin ....,
Chris
Attachments
Note cut away portion of insulating "floor"
Note cut away portion of insulating "floor"
100_2804.jpg
1946 4G and 1951 VH
ray.tolman
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: Modern reg inside MCR2 box??

Post by ray.tolman »

Hi Chris,
mea culpa... I will add cooling holes, mount the unit to a metal heat sink, and allow the fins to work as designed :-)
Sure hate to cut up a good MCR1 cap so I will take a MCR2 regulator and modify it to suit.
Good call, eh.
Ray