The square 4 lives again - white van man (part 2)

pictures (or stories) of hideous injuries sustained by your ariel
Leejm
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: The square 4 lives again - white van man (part 2)

Post by Leejm »

The thing is in motorways people do pay less attention than they do normally. I agree the whole thing was made worse by the fact I couldn't remember a God damn thing. Losing a week of your life is one thing. but at least we both still have our life's to fill our minds with better ones. Lee
1948 NH, BSA D10 SPORTS. 1953 VHA, 1951 KH rigid project.
Vincent.vanGinneke
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

The frase "I did not see you" often used by drivers of cars and trucks versus motorcyclist actually means "I did not look"
That lies hidden in the FACT that a car (or truck) drivers attention only gets activated when 'something large' (as in nature: 'Large' means threathening to myself) comes within range.

That's what we are up against, wearing a day glow vest wont change a thing.
The frontal lobe (if those car drives have a brain at all!) simply does not react on a small silhouette of a motorcycle (or bicyclist or pedestrian)
It gets ignored because the brain labels it as not being a danger to the person itself.

My father told me; When on a motorcycle, regard ALL others as complete idiots.
But what to do against shrimp brained Van drivers that come up from behind.........
Leejm

Post by Leejm »

I agree Vincent, you can do everything right. But the fact is you just can't do anything about what others do. With all the best will in the world. Some people just can't drive!
1948 NH, BSA D10 SPORTS. 1953 VHA, 1951 KH rigid project.
Steven.Carter

Post by Steven.Carter »

Its fantastic that your getting the bike back together, it must have made a lovely noise when it ran.
Steven.Carter

Post by Steven.Carter »

Leejm wrote:I agree Vincent, you can do everything right. But the fact is you just can't do anything about what others do. With all the best will in the world. Some people just can't drive!
I agree also but we can do a few things ourselves that can help. Maybe we should start a riding tips thread
keith.hodgenia
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by keith.hodgenia »

They see you coming well enough if you have a straight through mega fitted. They even point and shout words of encouragement, I think it's encouragement, can't hear above this damn mega.
Vincent.vanGinneke

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

When I started riding I found the German book 'Eine klasse besser' a very good read.
It's filled with all sorts of hints and tips .
Dont know if it is still available, and I have borrowed out my copy to someone.
Now there's a change to pick up some German language along the way !
Keith.owen

Post by Keith.owen »

Mark,
Hope that the op goes well and the femur heals. Also that your four is back on the road soon!

What happened to you is pretty horrifying. I do think that the process of law enforcement trivialises the consequences of mistakes (and I'm being polite here). When I learned to drive in 1974 my instructor told me that driving a car was like having a loaded gun - a lethal weapon. I think the problem is that people just trivialise the consequences of a collision and the fact that the other vehicle might be smaller doesn't necessarily mean that the perpetrator is going to come off lightly.

Getting on my soap box, I think that causing an accident should have real consequences for the protagonist. Not a slap on the wrist, a few points on the licence and a six shilling fine. If people got really hammered and made an example of, then maybe others would think twice about negotiating a roundabout with one hand on the wheel and the other clamping a phone to the head (yes, I see it all the time)!!

Anyway, at least you have not been discouraged and I look forward to perhaps seeing you around one day!

Keith
Keith Owen
Editor Cheval de Fer
1950 Rigid Ariel VH
1951 Rigid Ariel NH (under construction)
1973 Norton 850 Commando Interstate
keith wainwright
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by keith wainwright »

Hi Mark so pleased that you are starting to get the Square four back together. You are so correct never give up. Glad to here that you are starting to mend. Keep it going mate and the best of luck keep us posted Keith
MARK.WALSH
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by MARK.WALSH »

Well chaps
those clever surgeons at Orpington Hospital have slightly reduced the length of my leg by removing one of the screws from the metal rod that runs through the middle of my femur. That should, in theory, bring by broken bones a little closer together and commence the healing process. (all done in a day last Friday)
It seems like forever being off bikes but slowly things might also start to happen with the Ariel rebuild now. Draganflys have new stanchions which I am waiting to be delivered and that will mean I can complete the rebuild on the front end. Next step is to rebuild the rear wheel. I will use Road Star who are based in Dover who did a first class job on the original restoration.
Once I rebuild the wheel I will get the rolling chassis to Motoliner who are based in Maidstone Kent to see how repairable the frame is. - This is the make or break point for the old bike but I am hoping they will be able to straighten out the right side rear frame. If that all goes well I will be back on the road by next spring/summer
One thing I will have to find though is a second-hand gearbox casing as the flex as the frame bent caused it to crack right across the bottom lug.
So it will be interesting to see what gets fixed properly first - me or the bike. If the bike takes longer (and if my leg does not get stronger) plan B is ready and waiting with a Vincent HRD which I have bought complete with electric start and centre stand lifting handle - all future proofing my biking hobby
I will keep you posted on how I get on with motorliner in the next few months
Mark