The square 4 lives again - white van man (part 2)

pictures (or stories) of hideous injuries sustained by your ariel
MARK.WALSH
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

The square 4 lives again - white van man (part 2)

Post by MARK.WALSH »

After nearly 5 months since I was run down on the motorway leaving me with a broken Femur and my square 4 smashed to pieces I am glad to say that this morning I managed to connect an oil pressure gauge , attach a funnel to the fuel line and add petrol, and charge the battery enough to generate a spark.
As my leg is still badly broken I got as friend to kick the bike over and after about 6 kicks she burst into life.
I cant express how glad I am but there is still loads of work to do. I have already rebuilt the forks and some of the engine but the frame needs straightening, the gearbox needs welding , a new tank, rear wheel and mudguards needs to be financed but I will get there. I often get tempted to revisit the crash scene as there must be so many bits of the bike there in the hedgerow that I could save myself a few hundred quid, but unfortunately (like the square 4) I am still far from being properly fixed with my femur still in 5 pieces and the bones not bonding. I will be having further operations at Kings hospital to help rectify the problem but I still have a long way to go.
And as for the idiot that ran me over - he pleaded guilty by post (probably hoping for nothing more than a fine and 3 points on his license) but the magistrate realised the seriousness of the offence and he is now due to present himself to the bench for a far heftier penalty.
Getting back to the Ariel though - 90psi on the gauge, lovely even running (without any exhausts) and a project that is far from dead. This bike will be back on the road in a year or so and one way or another I will be on it. The motto is - never give up!
Vincent.vanGinneke
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re: The square 4 lives again - white van man (part 2)

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

Very good! thanks for keeping us posted.
I do hope the Van man gets his licence taken away for ever.
regards, Vincent
simon.holyfield

Post by simon.holyfield »

I have a spare gearbox cover (the bit with the clutch cable abutment) if it is any use to you?
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
Knud.Degnbol

Post by Knud.Degnbol »

I suppose his van was written off?
MARK.WALSH

Post by MARK.WALSH »

Simes
thanks for the offer but it was the main casing that split on the lower mounting due to the frame bending. I think I will be able to get it welded but I need to make sure the mainshaft is not bent as the rear wheel also went out of alignment causing both chains to lock up under undue tension.
Everyone in the club including yourself have been great with offers of assistance and Bruce Longman has helped with square 4 spares for the engine. Sooner or later this old bike will be back in circulation, and later today I even started it myself (with my good leg) so continued British biking is still a real possibility.

Knud - the last time I saw his van it was parked on its roof on the motorway pointing the wrong way -so hopefully it is written off :D
Cheers
Mark
MARK.WALSH

Post by MARK.WALSH »

Here are just a few pics that show you the battle I have in hand . The top and bottom yolks and stanchions were bent beyond repair and have already been replaced
The Ariel on its operating table - although in a bit of a state I had her running with pressure gauge connected. All this whilst standing on one leg !!
The Ariel on its operating table - although in a bit of a state I had her running with pressure gauge connected. All this whilst standing on one leg !!
the petrol tank and removed cracked timing cover
the petrol tank and removed cracked timing cover
if you look carefully you might notice the wheel is slightly out of true
if you look carefully you might notice the wheel is slightly out of true
The engine now with new timing cover - all sounds well - if not rather loud without any exhausts
The engine now with new timing cover - all sounds well - if not rather loud without any exhausts
simon.holyfield

Post by simon.holyfield »

Can you let us hear the music your SQ4 is making Mark? I posted some on Youtube a while back - but I would like to hear one without exhausts!
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
MARK.WALSH

Post by MARK.WALSH »

simes
might try that over the weekend if I get time
if I cant upload it to you tube I can send you a video clip
Mark
Leejm
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by Leejm »

Sorry to hear about what happened to you and your square four. And it's good to hear you and the bike are getting there. I had a bad accident myself a year and half ago. Someone in a car came up a one way Street the wrong way. it ended me going through the car window head first. I woke up two days later in hospital with no memory of what happened. I had a memory of a gold fish for awhile. I'm all OK now Still don't remember a thing about that week. My mother said you going to give up motorcycles now? My answer Hell No!!! It's good to hear you are not going to let what happened stop you either. Lee
1948 NH, BSA D10 SPORTS. 1953 VHA, 1951 KH rigid project.
MARK.WALSH

Post by MARK.WALSH »

Lee
your accident sounds horrendous, glad it has not put you off but I also had some memory loss at the time which I thought was more scary then the accident. I cant wait to start riding bikes again - but I'm not sure about motorway riding in future( on a vintage bike at least) as too many drivers want to cut you up and don't overtake properly by fully changing lanes
Regards
Mark