Ariel Leader dummy tank lid and hinge

Roger James
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: Ariel Leader dummy tank lid and hinge

Post by Roger James »

Evening Adam,
Just had a look at the exchange of messages with your Dad to refresh my memory, not that long ago really. As it was your dads Leader it would be nice to rebuild it in his memory even back to a standard Leader, it doesn't really matter that it will be something of a bitsa, most of mine are to be honest but I enjoy riding them just the same.
With regard to the positioning of the coils, an easy answer in some ways but I feel I need to mention differences regarding early/late Leader frames, the coils fit INSIDE the frame itself, you have to feed them through that hole in the top to get them in, the fiddly job is holding them up in place with one hand and getting the first screw in place through the hole in the frame lined up with the coil bracket, you usually end up with quite a few marks in your wrist for a few days.
So what is this mention of differences in frames you might be asking, just want to make you aware that on the early Leader frames (58-60) the coils were mounted inside the frame but bolted to the bottom immediately in front of the 2 gallon fuel tank, when Ariel fitted the larger 3 gallon fuel tank with it being longer they had to move the coils and mounted them still inside the frame but to the top to the rear of the headstock, with the longer fuel tank in place there is even less room for getting the coils in and lined up, but just enough room to do it.
I would recommend getting hold of the Ariel Leader/Arrow workshop manual if you've not got one, they are very thorough in explaining a complete strip down and rebuild of a complete machine, with plenty of photographs, originals are still around but there are also very good reproduction manuals also, in fact if you go into the 2 Stroke listing and look down the list you will see an offer of one of the reproduction manuals by Steve for just £20 including postage.
All the best Roger
AdamWB

Post by AdamWB »

Only me Roger, Again!
So, the strip down has commenced: All panels are off, stripped out the loom and I must note although a bitsa, she's in pretty good condition but I am aware that she has had a rebuild at some point if not two or three of them.
Since removing the rear mud guard I have noticed that the rear wheel isn't centre to the frame when looking down it. Its sitting vertically okay but looks over to one side on the frame. Is this normal on a vintage machine? Ive owned modern sports bikes and this is pretty much a no no so I'm hoping the swing arm isn't bent.
Regards Adam.
Attachments
IMG_3752.JPG
IMG_3751.JPG
IMG_3750.JPG
AdamWB

Post by AdamWB »

Hi again, does anyone know if the rear wheel pictured is supposed to be to one side or is there some thing I'm missing? The wheel seems very true but to one side!
Regards Adam.
bh.sprint
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by bh.sprint »

Hello,
I'll check the distances on my bike and let you know the result.

Brian H.
AdamWB

Post by AdamWB »

Thanks Brian, much appreciated
Adam.
bh.sprint

Post by bh.sprint »

Adam,

I've done a quick visual check on the Leader, the rear inner guard prevents me looking directly at the tyre but it is off centre to the frame join ( the same as your picture ). Measuring from the suspension units to the wheel rim ( the units and the wheel are near enough vertical ), there is a difference of just over .400 '', in the measurements. I'll check the other Leader tomorrow and see if it is the same.

Brian H.
AdamWB

Post by AdamWB »

Thank you Brian, thats put my mind at rest for the time being.... I just assumed it would fall in line with the frame join. I look forward to you checking your other Leader and hope its the same.
Regards... Adam.
bh.sprint

Post by bh.sprint »

Hello Adam,

I've checked the wheel off-set on the other Leader ( it's one I've had from new, so I know it's not been dropped ,bent etc ). the difference between the measurements wheel to suspension units is .190''. On the Arrow its a bit bigger at .350''. These will vary a bit because the wheels have a slight side ways movement and not being able to get in a position to get the best view of the tape.
I was surprised at the variation.

Brian H.
AdamWB

Post by AdamWB »

Thank you Brian for taking the time to check them... At least I now know that that it should at least not be dead centre to the frame, I just never expected it to be off to one side as having owned many modern bikes this would be a big concern.
Thanks again for your help and time..
Regards Adam.