VCH

Anything about Ariels
brenton.roy
Holder of a Golden Anorak

VCH

Post by brenton.roy »

I saw this photo on the wall in a coffee shop.
It was taken in 1953, in Port Adelaide. Is it a '52 VCH?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (90.43 KiB) Viewed 3308 times
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.
Bob.Murphy

Re: VCH

Post by Bob.Murphy »

An interesting photo for a number of reasons.

I wonder what "Eskimo Pie" is/was (long-dead Walrus ??).

I'm sure Adrie will identify the bike ;) .

Bob.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH
adrie.degraaff

Post by adrie.degraaff »

I think it's a COMP (roundfoot) made in 1949, COM in the frame, CO in the engine.
Why, the crankcase is of the darker magnesium.
david.anderson

Post by david.anderson »

if you look at the rear and front mudguard lifting handles they are both clearly VCH. While some people fitted alternate mudguards the front lifting handle is really a give away as an original VCH feature.
From what I understand the first VCHs were sold in Australia in 1950 (but were probably 49 models). My father spoke of a VCH for sale at Davies Brother in Lakemba a Sydney suburb in 1950. He almost traded in his 49VH on it. Strangely enough I mentioned that bike at the recent AAR rally and John Shanks an AAR member stated yes he remembered that bike well as he was the one who bought it. The bike was then fitted with a 12 to 1 piston and raced by John.
David
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

To all appearances it is the earlier version. (Mudguard stays etc). Fitting of lights may have been done ex factory as original spec is a TT magneto. I don't know when the first VCH's came here but I do know that Vic Bogner was Mechanic for one as he had a picture of it on the wall of his paint shop in Melbourne, Victoria. I saw it there about 1972 when I got him to paint my tank. Mine left the factory in 2 June 1950 consigned to a Car dealer in Melbourne with TT carb. high Comp piston and a spare set of wheels. I put it on the road in 1972 on full rego with lights added and it looks identical to the picture in every way. (still) Nev
chris.shearwood
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by chris.shearwood »

Hi Bob,
In Canada in the fifties and sixties an Eskimo Pie was a puck shaped piece of vanilla ice cream covered with a thin coating of chocolate. I haven't seen one for years and I don't know if they are still being sold.
1946 4G and 1951 VH
brenton.roy

Post by brenton.roy »

The base of the barrel does look a little different, but it's a low res picture, so it's hard to tell. It is a nice looking bike. The photo was taken less than a mile from where I live. I will live in hope that the bike will pop up at a local garage sale...
Yes Bob, Eskimo pies are still available here http://www.peters.com.au/brands/eskimo-pie/
Those metal and plastic hands (on the truck) were interesting gizmo's. From memory, you pulled a lever to rotate the hand upward for a left turn. Even if they were legal today, no one would understand the signal.
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.
Eero.Korhonen

Post by Eero.Korhonen »

Hello,
We still have eskimo pies here in Finland:
Br, Eero
Ariel VH 1954, IZH 350 1962, H-D Sportster Hugger 1992, AOMCC Member 133
brenton.roy

Post by brenton.roy »

Well Eero, while everyone else looks at motorcycles, we should enjoy ice cream :)
Bob.Murphy

Post by Bob.Murphy »

brenton.roy wrote: Yes Bob, Eskimo pies are still available here http://www.peters.com.au/brands/eskimo-pie/
In the UK we would call that a "Choc Ice" :) .

Hmmm, I think there's a box of 'Magnums' in the freezer . . . . . . 8-) .

Bob.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH