MARK.WALSH
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Square 4 meets 'white van man'

Post by MARK.WALSH »

IMG00035.jpg
IMG00034.jpg
Dear all
with great regret I include a recent photo of my Ariel which is now ruined.
Unfortunately a couple of weeks ago I was driving down the motorway at night and a white van ploughed into the back of me causing his vehicle to rise over my rear wheel and punting me off the saddle.
I was then pinned under the van before somehow being spun off to the hard shoulder only to be hit by the Ariel (r/h side of petrol tank ) where my femur war shattered in four places.
The driver accepts liability and claims he sneezed!!!! (police are prosecuting him)

I was rushed to Kings Hospital London for full scans and x-rays and an army of medical staff worked through the night to assess all injuries and then commence operations.
Needless to say I am very lucky to be in a position to be writing this email and I am in better shape then the Ariel.
The moral of the story bust be - no matter how well you increase your visibility or maintain good lights etc., one can never cater for the type of person who pays no attention to vehicles in front of them.
On a positive note I was 'humbled' by the response of other road users who stopped to help including a German lorry driver, and the work done by all the emergency services who looked after me - it was absolutely 1st class although something we all take for granted
Now I must concentrate on fixing my leg and dealing with the insurance companies . 'I'm not sure how long I will be out of action but I cant see myself kicking over my 600 Panther or Norton inter this summer - hopefully my Triumph Legend will suffice as it is electric start.

Regards
Mark
keith.hodgenia
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Square 4 meets 'white van man'

Post by keith.hodgenia »

I'm glad you can tell the tale Mark, it could have been a lot worse, I hope you make a speedy and complete recovery.
Steven.Carter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by Steven.Carter »

Oh dear Mark that's terrible news, I'm so glad your on the mend.

Steve
simon.holyfield

Post by simon.holyfield »

Mark that's terrible news - I'm so sorry. The Ariel looks very unhappy but I'm very pleased that you're OK and will carry on to fight another day. It just shows how vulnerable we all are to these people.

I was enjoying exchanging news on how our bikes were settling in, and I hope that we can be of some use when you come around to straighten it all out. I guess that we can say that our bikes have been rebuilt many times in their past and can be rebuilt again!

best regards

Simon
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
Keith.owen
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by Keith.owen »

Mark,
I find what happened to you highly disturbing; it really is a miracle that the outcome was not even worse.

I hope in the first instance that you make a good recovery from your injuries and that through the club it will prove possible to get your poor Ariel back on the road.

As for the chump that did this to you, well, I hope he gets prosecuted, but that won't alter what happened. It's rather a wasted opportunity that experiences like yours don't get publicised more. If they did, perhaps we'd all be more conscious of what we are doing when behind the wheel.

Keith
Keith Owen
Editor Cheval de Fer
1950 Rigid Ariel VH
1951 Rigid Ariel NH (under construction)
1973 Norton 850 Commando Interstate
steve.clarke

Post by steve.clarke »

Speedy recovery Mark
Regards Steve.
57VH 58VH 56HS IN A 58FH Frame, mortal remains of a 57NH 1999 FZS 600
robjameson
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by robjameson »

Glad you are around to tell the tale, wishing you a speedy recovery.

I'm sure it is at the back of your mind now but when it comes to getting you sorted with the Ariel there will be plenty of willing helpers both online and in person I'm sure!
Rob Jameson
AOMCC Member Number 4068
1957 Ariel VH
1954 Ariel KH
1948 Ariel 4G with 1920's Ariel Sidecar/Triumph Chassis
AOMCC Twin Spares Organiser
fpassmore

Post by fpassmore »

Very sad what happened to the Ariel and even worse to yourself. Concentrate on the healing and best wishes.

Frank
'51 SQ4, '56 NH, '56 VH, '37 VH500 Red Hunter, '56 SQ4 (basket case), '49 Sq4 (basket case), '48 A7 BSA Twin, 12 other BSA's, 9 Norton's, 2 Triumph's, 3 Ducati's and 3 Japanese. Just crazed is all my problem is.
charles.bulloch
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by charles.bulloch »

Get well soon.

Charlie
MARK.WALSH

Post by MARK.WALSH »

To everyone above -
thanks for your kind comments relating to my recovery and offers for advise and help on restoring the square 4 which I'm sure I will take up in time.
Even at the ripe old age of 52, and with what has happened to me I am amazed that already I am planning reconstruction of the bike. Due to my condition I wont be able to inspect it properly for a while but the frame does look twisted at the plungers . Not sure if I could get another plunger frame or if the singles shared the same frame as the fours - but I will have to wait for the insurance company first to see what the offer is. Already they have asked me to take it to a local Ariel garage and get it assessed (ho- hum)
Even my wife Debbie (who hates bikes incidentally) when asked by other relatives will Mark give up now on bikes now?, she replies 'not a chance'.
I have been dabbling with bikes since I was 14 and have not had a bike accident for over 34 years and despite this large setback the only way is forward.
If anything is to be gained from readers of this topic let it be - please be ultra careful, and be lucky, because you cant do anything else when riding in modern traffic where drivers of cars/vans have too many distractions
Kind regards
Mark